Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope review, what do you guys think of these?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

Scope review, what do you guys think of these?

What do you guys think about these scopes, going on a 308 700 to do some Long Distant varmint/target shooting.

Weaver Kaspa Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-12x 44mm Side Focus

Hawke Varmint Side Focus 3-12x44

Thanks

Tracy
Old 12-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope review, what do you guys think of these?

If i'm not mistaken they're both made in China. I have the 3-12x Kaspa on a Ruger Charger and it's fine for that use. It has the mushiest turret i've ever used though it does return to zero no problem. I have the 4-16x Hawke SF Varmint model and it's ...OK... The reticle is thicker than i like to use and the 1/2 mil lines are also too thick...IMO. A 1/2 mil dot-line system is much easier applied when it's a fine-line reticle.

I'm assuming the 3-12x is just the std. mil-dot, and if that's the case it oughtta' be OK if you don't expect Leupold+ quality out of it.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

Depending on your definition of 'longrange' 12x is probably not enough magnification. Look at 15x or more (personally, I prefer a top end of 25x). As for scopes that balance quality and price, look at Sightron SIII.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Depending on your definition of 'longrange' 12x is probably not enough magnification. Look at 15x or more (personally, I prefer a top end of 25x). As for scopes that balance quality and price, look at Sightron SIII.
Considering its a 308 the 12x is probly ok lol. I would ASSume OP wants less than 1500 yd capability(I hope). Sightron is good, vortex, weaver tactical($700+), bushnell tactical($700+) all would be good ones to look thru.

Also dont discount bushy 3200 and 4200.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.