Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope/Range Finder Combos - Good and/or Bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 04:35 PM

Scope/Range Finder Combos - Good and/or Bad?

I am really interested to hear of all good and or bad experiences with the current combination scope/rangefinder combinations. The Burris eliminator, the Bushnell yardage pro, the Zeiss Victory Diarange and any others that I may not be thinking of. I want to make a good decision and I am not sure if I am sold on the technology. Please help!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Gold Member

Re: Scope/Range Finder Combos - Good and/or Bad?

I have not used one.... So with that in mind: A range finder that can only be used on one rifle.....no thanks. Heavy and bulky....no thanks. My main reason for posting even tho I do not know squat about them is to point out they are illegal to hunt big game with in Idaho. I do not know where your at or if any other states make an issue of them but if you plan on hunting with it you better make sure before you shell out the cash for one.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:53 PM

Thanks that's good advice...
Looking forward to more...
Old 08-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

The new Eliminator is really sweet. The fact that you can used the scope on any power is a great improvement.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinetowgunner View Post
The new Eliminator is really sweet. The fact that you can used the scope on any power is a great improvement.
One of my hunting buddy's won one and mounted it on his 6.5Creedmore and personally, I think it is cumbersome. plus you have to use their specific mount to mount it.

Not for me.

I'd consider rangefinding Bino's but not an on the rifle combo.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
One of my hunting buddy's won one and mounted it on his 6.5Creedmore and personally, I think it is cumbersome. plus you have to use their specific mount to mount it.

Not for me.

I'd consider rangefinding Bino's but not an on the rifle combo.
All of my rifles wear a picatinny base now so mounting is a non issue. As far a being cumbersome, yes it is larger than a normal scope, but it has a rangefinder in it so I wouldn't expect it to be the same size as a rifle scope without electronics.

I hunt alone and lots of times don't have time to go from binos to a scope so I needed an all in one package.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 AM

I have field tested all three. So take that into account when you listen to folks that comment. If someone has not used them...well...lets just say listen to who you want.

With that in mind, you need to understand that a rangefinder scope is a little larger than a standard scope. However they a can be lighter and smaller than many other high end scopes. It is not going to be lighter and smaller than you standard 3x9. But than again when you are looking into range scopes I assume you are not slapping a Wal-Mart special or the cheapest on sale scope at gander mountain on your rifle anyway.

With that said by far the best of the top three is the ZEISS Victory Diarange 2.5-10x50 Y Laser Rangefinding Scope (Rapid Z-600 Reticle/Rapid Z-800 Reticle). Nitrogen filled, fastest reading time, longest battery life, amazing clarity, 10-999 yard range, and excellent low light optics. It is awesome. Oh yeah, and it is lighter than over half the scopes on the market. However, you get what you pay for and the $4000 price tag is steep!!

So for the money, the next best is the Burris ELIMINATOR™ LASERSCOPE Riflescope. It is a little bulkier than other scopes but worth it. It has vivid, bright, and crystal clear optics than beats most conventional scopes. It is 13" long so you compare it to others and check sizes. It also mounts closer to the gun than any other scope I have seen. The laser accuracy is +/- 1 yard which is pretty drang good (Zeiss is +/- .5 yards). The range is 25 to 800 yards but on an actual animal is it inky good to about 500 or 550. There are lots of prices out there but you should not be paying more than $900 for it.

ThevNIKON M-223 2.5-10x40 Riflescope Laser IRT is a very close third and you would be happy with it. It looks the most like a traditional scope if that matters to you. I just liked the Burris better.

Hope that helps