Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope questions

I like the mildot as a backup for a laser with a dead battery or a laser that ends up with another hunter in the party. I also feel it works good to confirm a max range, example: if you don't feel comfortable on a deer shot over 500 you can look through the scope and know pretty quickly if the deer is in range or not so you can stalk closer before you start digging your laser out of your gear bag.

As for crankin knobs, I would reccomend you buy a scope with target turrets and crank in for every shot you can get a laser reading for. Set your knobs to start (zero) at 100 yards and know how much to crank for a "maximum point blank range" for your intended game in case you jump a deer or (whatever) at 78 or 183 or 227 yards. Put your scope on this setting any time you are moving while looking for game.

The system I use for cranking in drops is not to count each click but rather to think of it as MOA plus clicks. Again, example: Instead of of thinking of my 300 yard drop adjustment as 21 clicks it is 5 MOA and 1 click, or, 5+1. There is at least one ballistic calculator accessible for free on the internet that will give you windage and elevation in this format.

Makes for quick and accurate shooting.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: Scope questions

Mildot is the way to go as a couple have already mentioned. No battery problem and you can memorize your holdovers which is very fast if needed. I'm using the MP8 which is close to the best so far as you can see clearer and have the 1/2 mil marks and now I know my holdovers up to 700 yrds. As for animal size I know the size of the ones I hunt so that makes it easier to range as well.

This is the standard MP8 with up to 10 mils of holdover.

Here's the new version with 15 mils of holdover WOW!
With either one you can holdover pretty darn far.