Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Bronze Member

Scope Question

Hello gentlemen. Is finding a scopes optical center the same as mechanical zero/or center of the adjustment range?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope Question

That is a good question. Why do you ask? What are you trying to accomplish? Maybe if you answer these questions some one might be able to help.

joseph
Old 01-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Bronze Member

Joseph,

Thank you for your reply. I am new to the shooting sports, so I am in that learning phase. There is an incredible amount of information to make sense of and it gets a bit confusing. I am far from ready to be a long distance shooter, but I am enjoying the process of learning. When I mount my first scope, I want to do it correctly. It will probably be on a Marlin 60 as per the advice of members here to learn to shoot economically. That being said, I am hungry to learn as much as I can. Thanks to members here, I am beginning to understand MOA, zeroing, adjustable mounts, target turrets, etc. and what it takes to shoot long distances accurately. Each time I learn something, it seems to raise another question. I think I understand mechanical zero as being in the center of the available adjustment range. What I don't get is - optical center. If I place the scope objective on a mirror and line up the reticle with its reflection, have I found mechanical center? Or, are they separate things? I learn better when I understand what I am doing and why. Once I do put together a long distance set up, I would like to try varmint and predator hunting. I would not even consider taking a shot at an animal unless my rig is set up properly and I fully understand what I am doing.

Tim
Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable then I will chime in to help you out. I am not sure if the optical center is more important then the mechanical center which you seem to understand.

joseph
Old 01-21-2011, 01:42 AM
Silver Member

Most people want their scope close to the factory zero when they have their scope sighted in, this is why most lrh have 20moa bases.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Gold Member

http://www.usoptics.com/index.php?page=instructions

the link has info on finding optical center . I think optical center can be different than mechanical center . the use of a 20 moa mount is to give the scope more elevation adjustment for long distance shots . this happens because the scope is adjusted way low at a 100yds zero and gives you most of the scopes travel to use for elevation adjustment for longer distances . Jim
Old 01-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Take a look here on how to optically center your scope:

Hobbies Forum - How to optically center a scope

Note that I usually use the second method described (the mirror method) and if I really, really want to get it exact follow it up with the "v-cut in the box" method.

Optical centering aligns the scope's lenses and internals so that they all point in the same direction and at the same spot. Mechanical centering just puts you halfway between the limits of the adjustment, and due to manfacturing variables that may - or may not - be at optical center.