Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope qestions, parallax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Bronze Member

Scope question...to Parallax or Not!

With a non-adjustable parallax VX-III 3.5-10x50mm, my best 100yd. grouping with my custom .30-06 was 2 MOA. I stepped up to a VX-6 3-18x50mm with a side parallax adjustment and shot my best group at under .25 MOA!

Yea, the glass is much better and has a longer reach, but the tight reticle picture (stays on target with any head movement) due to properly adjusted parallax seems to have helped me out a lot in achieving accuracy!

Ted
Old 10-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo98 View Post
With a non-adjustable parallax VX-III 3.5-10x50mm, my best 100yd. grouping with my custom .30-06 was 2 MOA. I stepped up to a VX-6 3-18x50mm with a side parallax adjustment and shot my best group at under .25 MOA!... properly adjusted parallax seems to have helped me out a lot in achieving accuracy! Ted
Are you sure parallax was the problem with the VX-III? Could it have been a mounting issue or a problem with the scope holding zero?

The parallax (focus) range on the VX-III would have to be very short, like 20 to 40 yds, to cause that much dispersion at 100 yds. If the scope focus was that far off it should be obvious when moving your eye left and right while looking at the target. Did you confirm that parallax range really was the problem? If so, Leupold will fix it under warranty.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 10-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Scope qestions, parallax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
Are you sure parallax was the problem with the VX-III? Could it have been a mounting issue or a problem with the scope holding zero?
Bruce,

My rifle custom build gunsmith did the VXIII install, torqued the rails and rings all down and obtained a repetitive zero for me. With his younger eyes and wealth of F-Class and open F-Class competition experience (won many), he was able to get consistent .5 MOA groups from this scope. However, the 100yd. parallax may still be a little off and my inexperienced eyes just couldn't maintain a steady straight on sight picture with the reticle.

The scope change (VX6) allows me to lock in the reticle POI, no matter my off center eye placement, and really is the only variable we changed with my hunting and ballistic setup. If I ever change scopes in the future, it will definitely have parallax adjustment!

Thanks,

Ted
Old 10-15-2013, 06:57 PM

Re: Scope qestions, parallax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
That person may be a champion shooter but she knows little about scopes .
If you push the scope too far forward and create the big black ring you will loose field of view , she is a peep sight target shooter and knows jack about hunting I suspect. It is true that if you can place your eye in exactly the same place each time parallax will be minimised but that's the problem we can't , even with the perfect stock fitting because we shoot from all different positions etc.
What few people know is that even rotating the eye causes focus and parallax problems so just tipping your head down slightly changes things.
Also even the scope lens it's self may not be perfectly symmetrical and rotating it can cause issues. Set the scopes ocular focus first on a clear sky at mid power .
The best eye relief position is a compromise with variable power scopes . As the power changes the best eye relief position for that power changes ,
So what you do is find an eye relief position in about the middle of the power range and get it so you can see as much sight picture as possible . Then ramp the power back and forth to see it's still OK at lowest and highest power , adjust as necessary . Just jamming the scope forward is rubbish .
The best control for parallax is to adjust for it at the specific range and that's what the scopes are deigned to do then it don't matter if your head is not in the perfect + and - .001 position but you should still strive to have a good consistant cheek weld .
Thanks for the feedback, I usually leave this scope on 16x since its not FFP type