close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Reply

scope for the poor man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Unread 01-13-2013, 04:39 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 557
Re: scope for the poor man

I was thinking that something also must be very different from the model that I'm talking about compared to the one that is sold by the company today. I bought two of them that were on the clearance table back in the mid-90's..all my shooting buddies laughed when I told them what I bought and they were $149.00 at Grice's gun shoppe..sad part is there were 4 or 5 other ones that sat there for months before they were all gone.. I wish now that I should have bought them all... I also am amazed at the repeatability and clearness for $149.00
Reply With Quote
  •   #16  
    Unread 01-13-2013, 09:04 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Location: Heflin, AL
    Posts: 183
    Re: scope for the poor man

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by savagelover View Post
    Howdy,,It's been awhile since I was here last.Nice place to get valued info.

    Ok,I just built a new savage in 223 with bull barrel..I have been playing around
    doing some open f t/r shooting at 250 yards..But might be going out a little
    farther..Like to 500 yards..

    Being on a fixed income,I am looking for something a little better than my present
    BSA scope..It works great and all that,but I would like one some what more clear.
    So if anyone has any good ideas,please pass them along..Thanks-John
    John,

    My recommendation will take you to the top of your price but the scopes are hands down the best value for the money. Look at the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. CameralandNY has open box specials for $279 and many times you can find then used on the boards for $300 with BDC or Mildot retices.

    Take a serious look at the open box Vortex.

    God Bless,

    Paul
    Reply With Quote

      #17  
    Unread 01-13-2013, 09:32 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Location: Alpine,NY
    Posts: 103
    Re: scope for the poor man

    I looked and did not see anything called open box...Maybe I am not understanding what you mean by this..They are nice scopes..I appreciate your information about them...John
    __________________
    one shot one kill is a wonderful thing
    Reply With Quote
      #18  
    Unread 01-13-2013, 09:51 AM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Posts: 43
    Re: scope for the poor man

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyman777 View Post
    John,

    My recommendation will take you to the top of your price but the scopes are hands down the best value for the money. Look at the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. CameralandNY has open box specials for $279 and many times you can find then used on the boards for $300 with BDC or Mildot retices.

    Take a serious look at the open box Vortex.

    God Bless,

    Paul
    I think hands down the Vortex is your best bet; just have to sacrifice your wish to have 24+ mag. You'll be very pleased, it's a good scope!
    Reply With Quote
      #19  
    Unread 01-13-2013, 12:38 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Clearwood, WA
    Posts: 285
    Re: scope for the poor man

    What about a Weaver T36? I've had a few and I've never paid more than $300 for one. They're great for target of varmint work. The downside is the limited field of view.

    Andrew
    Reply With Quote
      #20  
    Unread 01-13-2013, 01:37 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Location: Heflin, AL
    Posts: 183
    Re: scope for the poor man

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by savagelover View Post
    I looked and did not see anything called open box...Maybe I am not understanding what you mean by this..They are nice scopes..I appreciate your information about them...John
    Here's a link. Vortex - Camera Land NY

    They may not use that term per se, it's just what came to mind. I have a 6.5-20x50 Mildot that I found used at snipershide for $350 shipped IIRC and I love it.

    Paul
    Reply With Quote
      #21  
    Unread 01-13-2013, 04:16 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: Great Falls, MT
    Posts: 9,279
    Re: scope for the poor man

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyman777 View Post
    Here's a link. Vortex - Camera Land NY

    They may not use that term per se, it's just what came to mind. I have a 6.5-20x50 Mildot that I found used at snipershide for $350 shipped IIRC and I love it.

    Paul
    Perhaps you meant demo (display items). The only thing I don't like the Viper line is its eye relief (3.1-3.3").

    The newly redesigned Crossfire II 6-18x44 is within your price range (Vortex - Camera Land NY) and has 3.7-4.3" of eye relief (Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO V-Plex)



    Good luck!
    __________________

    I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



    "I am always proud of my country!"

    "Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an ***hole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

    Last edited by FEENIX; 01-13-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC