Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

scope for the poor man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Bronze Member

scope for the poor man

Howdy,,It's been awhile since I was here last.Nice place to get valued info.

Ok,I just built a new savage in 223 with bull barrel..I have been playing around
doing some open f t/r shooting at 250 yards..But might be going out a little
farther..Like to 500 yards..

Being on a fixed income,I am looking for something a little better than my present
BSA scope..It works great and all that,but I would like one some what more clear.
So if anyone has any good ideas,please pass them along..Thanks-John
Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Bronze Member

Re: scope for the poor man

Hey John, could use a little more info; what type of budget, for what purpose (target or hunting) say 500yds tops?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiicgun View Post
Hey John, could use a little more info; what type of budget, for what purpose (target or hunting) say 500yds tops?
I suppose it will be maily for target shooting and crow snipeing....I hate to spend more than 300 bucks..I know I probably should try to save more up but the meds.I take are pretty pricey as well..Retired and disabled dozer operators don't get much..

I appreciate any ideas or suggestions..Like I said the BSA isn't bad for what I paid for it..I would like at least a 24 x or a little more...
Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Bronze Member

I think Swift would be a step up from BSA. You can check them (Swift 8-32x50 Premier Rifle Scope) at SWFA. Recoil shouldn't be a problem with your gun. You might check out some other brands as well. A dimmer sight picture at high magnification will probably be the biggest drawback but that is common for the lower priced lines. See what you think, and best of luck.

Bill
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Silver Member

I put a Bushnell e3940sf (side focus) limited editions on a recent 22lr I purchased as it was a good deal. It was on sale for $200 less the $75 rebate = heck of a deal IMO. The scope is excellent for the money. I kind of feel guilty having in on my XT22VR. Yes, it's made in China but most of the good ones in the $2-300 range will be. It is very clear, has Bushnell's excellent rainguard, and a life time warranty. You can find them for $250 (check adorama.com) and I'd say they're worth that. Side by side with a VX-1 I'd say it's just a bit better (yes...I'll probably get flammed for that). There's really a lot of good glass (I didn't say great) in your price range. You can get some of the Leupolds for that kind of money, and you'll be happy with them as well. BTW, if you prefer not to have the side focus, they have it without. They also have a fixed 10x40 with target turrets, and mil-dot for just a little more if you're interested in that type. Also, you could play SWFA.com's price matching game and get it for a little less as they have them in stock right now. Good luck!

Last edited by ntg; 01-11-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

There are some Weaver variable power scopes that look awefully good. Last I looked at had an illuminated reticule that turned on via a small button on the objective lens. Looked good...felt good too...!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Silver Member

Another that comes to mind is Mueller (Mueller Rifle scopes). I've heard lots of good about them as far as getting a lot for your $$$. I will add that I've never looked through one yet, however.