Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope for night coyote hunting and long range daytime target shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 07:37 PM

Scope for night coyote hunting and long range daytime target shooting

I have a RRA AR Predator Pursuit that I put a Burris FFII 4.5-14x42 on. I have been breaking it in and had discovered that it is not enought scope to shoot long range targets. I need a scope that will have a low enough power to shoot a coyotes on winter moonlight nights @ 50 yards and still be able to see me bullet holes on my target at 200 yards.
I have been looking at the Bushnell 6500 4-30x50, but I'm not real fond of their reticles. I really like the burris ballistic plex. Would a Mill Dot work good for night coyote hunting? I'm also a little apprehensive on the lighted reticles as I am unsure if they have variable power to turn the brightness down, because I don't want it to be over bearing at night. I really prefer to have some sort of ranging reticle, but most that have a ranging reticle will probably be to fine for night hunting. I realize that I am trying to make one scope do the job of two scopes, so any suggestions or advice would be great.
Thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 07:40 PM

Re: Scope for night coyote hunting and long range daytime target shooting

I forgot to mention that I have a budget of around $1000 for the scope.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

If you are allowed to use a light that will make just about any decent scope usable at night for close range. Red or yellow lenses work great and do not alert the animals at all. If you are calling they will come in just fine when using a light, actually better, they can't see what's BEHIND the light. Most of my night time calling shots are in the 30-100 yard range on fox and racoons. No experience with coyotes yet.

A lighted reticle can be nice but is not needed. Most guys I know that are very serious about night hunting use the BR Nightforce scopes with external adjustable brightness reticles.

There is also a little clamp on light to light up the reticle of any scope. I've used it and although it does work I find it is not worth the hassle. Just not needed with a good light.

Gene
Old 08-02-2009, 11:29 AM

Evidently not many people target shoot and hunt coyotes
Old 08-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Not with the same scope. :(
Old 08-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

I only night hunted with a 12ga. with 4buck.

One option would be to acquire a Gene Davis optical booster for target shooting. A 3X booster will increase a 20X to 26X.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 08-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

My NF NSX 5.5 - 22 x 50 will easily allow me to see my bullet holes @ 200 yds (on white paper) and on 5.5 power can easily pick up targets beyond 100 yds in moonlight. But it's more than $1000. I've seen them go for about $1300-$1400 on ebay.

-MR