Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which scope for my new mountain rifle build???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which scope for my new mountain rifle build???

What bad reviews have you read concerning the Zeiss scopes??
Old 10-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
What bad reviews have you read concerning the Zeiss scopes??
I haven't read anything bad about the zeiss other than not having much elevation after the zero stop is set. Does the zeiss hd5 3-15x42 have the correct turret system for dialing without removing the cap? Also does it have zero stop? Thanks
Old 10-06-2013, 04:05 AM

Just heard this week from someone else (this forum i think) that the Zeiss 3-15x required removing the caps. If you look closely, all the photos they have with the target turrets that don't seem to need caps are of the 5-25x version. I don't need that much magnification.

I'm in a similar boat as you and currently my thoughts are Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 BT with 4w reticle. Also thinking a about the Nightforce 2-10x42mm an still trying to figure out if S&B has an option on a hunting scope to get a target style turret that does not require removal of cap.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Silver Member

I have the Viper PST 4-16x50 SFP and the 2.5-10x44. Both are excellent scopes. I have one of the earlier 4-16's and the glass is every bit as good as all the Leupold VX3's I sold. No issues at all with it. Going to pick up the new HS-T in MOA when it comes out.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpalot View Post
I have the Viper PST 4-16x50 SFP and the 2.5-10x44. Both are excellent scopes. I have one of the earlier 4-16's and the glass is every bit as good as all the Leupold VX3's I sold. No issues at all with it. Going to pick up the new HS-T in MOA when it comes out.

Like I said before the 4-16 sfp PST is what I want the most simply due to features and price. However Im scared as heck due to all the bad reviews Ive read on the 4-16. The 4-16 is the only one that seems to have the bad reviews. Is seems the 4-16 had subpar glass compared to the other PST's. Like I said if I was convinced this problem was fixed, I would buy the 4-16 PST in a heart beat. I might just roll the dice and do it anyways.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoetrpr View Post
Just heard this week from someone else (this forum i think) that the Zeiss 3-15x required removing the caps. If you look closely, all the photos they have with the target turrets that don't seem to need caps are of the 5-25x version. I don't need that much magnification.

I'm in a similar boat as you and currently my thoughts are Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 BT with 4w reticle. Also thinking a about the Nightforce 2-10x42mm an still trying to figure out if S&B has an option on a hunting scope to get a target style turret that does not require removal of cap.

I have the Conquests in 4.5-14 and 6.5-20 and BOTH have target turrets. Both have 50mm objectives
Old 10-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkwonder View Post
Like I said before the 4-16 sfp PST is what I want the most simply due to features and price. However Im scared as heck due to all the bad reviews Ive read on the 4-16. The 4-16 is the only one that seems to have the bad reviews. Is seems the 4-16 had subpar glass compared to the other PST's. Like I said if I was convinced this problem was fixed, I would buy the 4-16 PST in a heart beat. I might just roll the dice and do it anyways.
I just went out shooting today with a buddy who only uses Leupold. He looked through my 4-16 PST and thought it looked every bit if not better then his Leupold. I'm not sure where you're reading all the bad reviews at. If it was on Sniper's Hide, take it with a grain of salt. I have a Nightforce too and the PST isn't as good as that but good enough for what I do with it.