Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which scope for my new mountain rifle build???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Silver Member

Which scope for my new mountain rifle build???

Ok folks, I am building a new mountain rifle for mule deer and will be using it here in the badlands as well. I was wanting something FAIRLY light, without being uncontrollably light. I have settled on 140 grain pills pushed from a tikka t3 lite stainless 7mm-08 mounted in a bell and Carlson medalist stock. As for a scope, that's where I'm hung up. I want the best glass for the money, and would rather not spend more than a grand. I think the Sightron SIII 3.5-10X44 illuminated is a good fit, but am worried if 10 max power is enough for 500 yards. I think the glass will be hard to beat for the $750.00 dollar mark. I also like the illumination and trust the repeatability of this scope. Consistent tracking is a must, as I will be cranking on this bad boy daily! I plan on shooting this rifle a ton throughout the year between hunting and punching paper so that I remain efficient with this set up. I really don't plan on shooting past 500 with this setup. I guess I am just worried that I will wish I had went with more magnification. What say you??????Thanks
Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which scope for my new mountain rifle build???

For the last 50+ years snipers were taught to shoot to 1,000 yards with a set 10x scope. I think you'll be alright at 500 on mule deer sized game.

However, my recommendation is for a truly lightweight scope. It's not cheap, but it will last you a lifetime, and then some...

Figure out your hashmark drops for your particular rifle and caliber, and you'll be set!

This scope only weighs in at 16.5oz.......That's lightweight!!!

Kahles KXi Rifle Scope 3.5-10x 50mm Illuminated 4D Reticle Matte

I'd use this lightweight mount. Make sure you only torque the screws to 30 inch-pounds, or you'll have issues. Also, with this mount you don't need to use loc-tite, being that once you torque aluminum, it's pretty situated.

Brushed Stainless: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/321...-silver-medium

Black: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/824...3-matte-medium

I have the same mount (but for a 700), holding the same scope on one of my rifles.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

I was looking at some other options on sample list as well as demos at camera land and a couple other sites. Sometimes you can get some awesome deals on demos if you know what you want. Im not against the kahles, but I was hoping for an adjustable turret instead of a holdover system.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:04 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkwonder View Post
I was looking at some other options on sample list as well as demos at camera land and a couple other sites. Sometimes you can get some awesome deals on demos if you know what you want. Im not against the kahles, but I was hoping for an adjustable turret instead of a holdover system.
Then I would look at either Vortex Viper PST or Leupold Mark 4 models. 10x is ok for 500 but 12-14 is better for me.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

I would like to get a little better glass than the PST
Old 10-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkwonder View Post
I would like to get a little better glass than the PST
Actually, I shoot with pst, mark4 and nightforce and have not seen any noticeable difference. Until 500 yards IMO either one will work perfectly.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Get a 6.5-20X Zeiss Conquest. It will take you as far as you want to go partner