Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

scope mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2005, 03:10 PM

scope mounts

My question is about a high rise (see thru) scope mount. I recently brought my 209x 50 Encore to be set up with high rise scope mounts, so that I could still use my iron sights. The store workers suggested strongly against this, stating concerns for accurracy and the possibility of the scope "jarring" or moving too much.
I personally know several people with this set up who could not be happier. With this in mind, I do not need to hold a 1/2 inch pattern at 300 yards. I'm happy shooting 4 inch groups at 200.
Does anyone have any sugestions?? This is a hunting gun!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: scope mounts

tc
Give some thought to how you hunt. See-thru mounts are notoriously easy to jar out of alignment, I watched a friend lean his rifle against a fence post and as it started to fall he caught it by the scope just before it hit the ground, point of impact moved over 3"(found out the hard way....missed.) Now I suppose something could have been loose but it shot just fine through sight in and 3 boxes of shells just plinking.

Point is if there is a chance you will be banging around in the thick woods or on the unstable ground of a mountain side I'd find something more solid.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:46 AM
Bronze Member

I thought the same thing when i first starting using a scope,iron for close shots.But i have found the truth is in practicing shouldering your gun on target,i think i could hit skeet now.Learn to trust yourself.And if it isn't right your mounting system isn't right.Scope to far forward,back,low,or high.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:42 AM

Winmagman, Tho, thanks for the replies.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:17 PM
Gold Member

TC, I would urge you to mount your scope low. It is true that a high mount is not as strong. Another problem not with just your 209X50 but also with centerfire & rimfires,
trajectory tables are set-up with low mounting in mind (about 1.5"). Also, a lower cheek weld will lessen the effects of paralax & increase accuracy. A 3x9 type scope set on the low end if close range shooting is likely will
give you adaquate field of view. When I was a kid, we would
go outside & aim at flocks of black birds as they flew overhead. Yea, I grew up in the sticks. Now I can keep a running Rabbit in my field of view. With practice you will not need a high mount.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Gold Member

Forget the see through mounts. get a decent picatinny type rail in the rifle and use some decent scope mounts, a type that you can remove and rifit with one of those handy little pocket torque wrenches, you will then have optimum scope mounting and still be able to whip the scope off to use the iron sights if you want.
Pete
Old 01-18-2005, 10:57 AM

Your probably not going to shoot farther than 300y so why not go with a 1-5 or 2-7 power scope. Than you can crank it way down for the close in work and still have some mag for the longer shot.