Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

scope mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

scope mounts

I ordered a 300 RUM today, Remington 700 CDL, and am curious what scope mounting system is supposed to be more sturdy. Should I go with the heavy weaver style tacticles, or the dovetail style.

I will be putting a fairly heavy scope on and will be packing this in a scabbard while riding horseback on a young horse during most of my hunting time. I want a mount that will hold up to the occaisonal drop or rodeo. I am smart enough to do a visual inspection and check the zero after either happens, just asking for input.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 06-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: scope mounts

No doubt to what I recommend....and this comes from experience as a guide and a custom rifle builder......

BADGER all the way!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with Chris on the Badger bases and rings.

If the Badgers are too much cash there are other tactical style bases and rings out there, just be sure to get quality.

The add a little weight to the rifle but there's no doubt that they'll stay put and short of you busting the scope into pieces your zero will be correct.

I needed to built a custom scabbard for my hunting rifles but it wasn't too much trouble. Some good leather, couple of marking tools, leather glue, Dremel to drill the holes through the three thick pieces of leather and a fair time doing the saddle stitching (double thread, opposite directions).
Old 06-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Silver Member

Dave King: do yourself a favor and get some Egyptian cotton thread to do your sewing, I prefer the pre waxed. It is much better than the nylon as it will not cut the leather over time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

I agree with everyone, badger is the way to go. BUT, the #6 screws used on the 700 are, in my opinion, the weak link. You might consider having a smith drill for the #8 screws at least or possibly installing press pins. Personally, the press pins make the most sense as they would prevent scope base slippage from sharp blows as well as acting as a recoil lug.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Gold Member

The badger has a recoil lug- so no need to pin the base or drill for 8-40s- the lug takes all the recoil, the screws simply hold it on.....
Old 06-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

Three years ago I thought the same thing, until experiencing poi changes and then I realized why many tactical rifles use #8's, press pins, as well as clipslotting.

[ QUOTE ]
[The badger has a recoil lug]

[/ QUOTE ]

They do have a recoil lug - personally sounds more like a selling point to me. I wonder if all 700 actions have tight enough tolerances so that the "recoil lug" can do it's thing, you know properly seated against the receiver.

As for the #6 screws, they sure are small to hold so much mass/weight. On the same note, #8's aren't that much beefier.