Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope Mounting Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 09:23 PM

Scope Mounting Question

I just picked up a Leupold VX-II and found the tube to be shorter than my old Bushnell Legend. I have a long action Savage and find that the rings are too far apart for the shorter tube.

Not being knowledgable with scopes and mounts, I'm wondering what the best route would be to take. What would be a better mount...a pictinny style one piece mount with my current Weaver style rings or should I go with extension rings? I have no idea what would be the more reliable/solid option.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope Mounting Question

IMHO the one piece Picitinny without question
Old 10-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
IMHO the one piece Picitinny without question

What he said.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-04-2008, 01:29 AM
SPONSOR

yes the one piece rail will be the stronger mounting system. a one piece rail helps to bridge the gap of the ejection port and add some strength to the receiver. there is nothing wrong with a 2 piece mounting system and it does decrease weight but if you can take the weight why not go with the stronger system.

one good question i was recently asked and i am not real sure of is the difference between different rail systems. mainly the difference in the foot print between the NF, Mk4, and Warne rail bases. that is a question i would like to know the answer too.

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 10-05-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerch View Post
yes the one piece rail will be the stronger mounting system. a one piece rail helps to bridge the gap of the ejection port and add some strength to the receiver. there is nothing wrong with a 2 piece mounting system and it does decrease weight but if you can take the weight why not go with the stronger system.

one good question i was recently asked and i am not real sure of is the difference between different rail systems. mainly the difference in the foot print between the NF, Mk4, and Warne rail bases. that is a question i would like to know the answer too.

steve
What type of one piece rail would you recommend? Are the ones from Weaver or B-Square any good or do you think I should spend more money?
Old 10-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

I like the Seekins bases and rings a lot..
Old 10-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

The Seekins bases and rings are 7000 series Al. Very tough, will not corrode and very light. When I exchanced my Farrell pic base and Mark 4 rings for the Seekins setup, my rifle lost nearly 1/2 lb. The Seekins pic base has an integral recoil lug and some pic bases don't--mechanically, it seems like it'd better to have the lug and not be completely reliant on the base screws, especially with the hard hitting mags most of us are shooting. Good luck. Oh, and Glen's prices are actually reasonable and he's a member here.

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl