Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope mounting question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope mounting question

oo Over the years I have seen too many scopes that slid in the rings even though they were properly torqued.some of the one screw per side type ring neede powdered rosin inorder to stay put.I now use the tactical style rings and base's and never have a problem with scope movement or moisture and would never put a slippery substsnce in my rings.If the rings fit properly how can moisture get between then and the scope? If they do not fit properly, then them untill they do fit properly is inorder.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

Point well taken, the film is so thin its barely noticeable, These rings have 6 screws holding them. I have done this in the past without any problems.

After reading all the pros and cons of lapping etc it got a little confusing. With the one piece rail etc everything lined up perfectly with no slop or wobble, so basically all I had to do was throw it together, loc tite and torque it down.

Thanks for the info,
Frank D
Old 05-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Gold Member

demarpint,
I have used electrical tape in my rings now for years with no problems at all even with a 8.5-25x50 Leuppy on a 300 WSM.

Ian
Old 05-07-2006, 11:11 AM

Use liquid electrical tape. Seals and grabs the scope so it will not slip. Just make sure you let it sit for about a week before you use it so it can cure.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

I never had any problems either, but really like the idea of the tape bushing, just torque it down a few times to make sure everything is nice and snug.

I just had a look thru my emails, I had emailed Burris re: the rings I have and they suggested "friction paper" as a bushing, and if everything lines up nice and straight with no binding put it together.

Thanks for the replies,

Frank D
Old 05-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Silver Member

Sounds like the petro jelly on a big kicker could be an issue. The liquid tape sounds like a good idea, almost like a very easy to use bedding compound.

Thanks for the replies, glad I asked!

Frank D
Old 05-07-2006, 03:39 PM

If it helps anybody I'm pretty sure my gunsmith paints the inside of the scope rings with clear nail polish(or some other clear glue) then mounts the scopes and wipes off the excess.

Ive had a couple different scopes on my 300 win and they never move.

He laps and trues all my rings. I'm not sure if it helps but it hasnt seemed to hurt anything.