Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope mounting question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Silver Member

Scope mounting question

Thanks in advance,

I am setting up my .308 Savage BVSS rifle for 1000 yard target shooting. I have have a 1 pc. 25 MOA Picatinny Rail and Burris Xtreme tactical rings.

Everything lines up nicely and the scope goes into the rings without any side to side movement, no binding, it looks good. I have read the pros and cons of lapping etc, via the search function.

My question is can I mount this w/o any worry since everything lines up? Can I make a bushing with friction paper, or electrical tape to protect the scope tube from possible ring marks? I would rather not bed the rings. Or should I just bolt it on and forget about it? Some times tweaking something that is good makes it worse.

Thanks,
Frank D
Old 05-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Scope mounting question

Frank D... for what it's worth, I use masking tape inside my rings on everything (some were lapped, some not lapped)... this has worked very well for me, have never marked a scope yet with this procedure; one thing to be mindful of is the paper does compress slightly at first & I re-visit the torque on the ring screws to be sure they are still tight... this really forms a solid grip on the scope, you'll notice the first time you remove a scope later from the lined rings...hope this helps... Larry
Old 05-06-2006, 08:49 PM
SPONSOR

I would tell you to make sure and use some kind of cleaner on the screw holes on the rings. many companies use protective agents on the rings to stop rust. If these agents are in the threads then the ring could come loose over time and then you have real headache!!I have never used tape on any of my scopes but I have left a ring mark or two before.

good luck
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 05-07-2006, 06:50 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Guys,

Everything lined up nicely. I put a thin coat of petroleum jelly on the inside of the rings, (very thin). Cleaned up all the screws, and set them in with a torque wrench 25"LB.

All screws cleaned and Loc-tite blue was used. I will bore sight it tonight with the street light one final time to check before I go to the range. The street light has never let me down.

When I mount the Leupold on the 6.5x284 I will use the tape bushings Larry O mentioned.

Thanks,
Frank D
Old 05-07-2006, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

I have to ask, why petroleum Jelly on the rings?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

You may be able to get away with a lot of stuff when shooting a 308 but.....

I'd trash the petro jelly idea on principle.

My learning curve was that I could take factory rings of about any breed, run a cloth over them and mount the scope with no problems what so ever on a 270 win.

However, with a 338 Win w/brake it was get burris sig rings and clean with the stoutist degreaser available (Gunk Green) and torque/torque/torque before scope movement could be prevented.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Silver Member

I was told years ago from a gunsmith that a light film of petro jelly would keep moisture out and protect the area. Basically he said put it on and wipe it off so it leaves a very thin film. It would also ease in taking it apart, I like Larry O's idea of the masking tape bushing as well.

Frank D