Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which scope mount would you choose Leupold Dual Dovetails or DMZ Game Reapers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

Which scope mount would you choose Leupold Dual Dovetails or DMZ Game Reapers?

I'm working on a rifle for my cousin. A Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Wby and was curious if anyone might offer some insight into whether or not to choose DMZ Game Reaper scope mounts over Leupold 2-piece dual dovetail mounts? I'm looking for something a little more light and elegant than the removable 2-piece bases that I prefer but still want something strong that will hold up when it hits the dirt (which it will).

Thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which scope mount would you choose Leupold Dual Dovetails or DMZ Game Reapers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross View Post
I'm working on a rifle for my cousin. A Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Wby and was curious if anyone might offer some insight into whether or not to choose DMZ Game Reaper scope mounts over Leupold 2-piece dual dovetail mounts? I'm looking for something a little more light and elegant than the removable 2-piece bases that I prefer but still want something strong that will hold up when it hits the dirt (which it will).

Thanks
I'm not familiar with the DMZ mounts but have recently switched to the dual dove tail two piece scope base and rings on a 338 RUM. You'll need something that strong, or better, even if it never hits the dirt

I'd suggest the single piece base even though I got the two piece. They were just more available.

My goto rifle hit the dirt, trees and lava rock more than once and even with the screw type windage base and ring there was never a problem.......
Old 12-12-2008, 01:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: Which scope mount would you choose Leupold Dual Dovetails or DMZ Game Reapers?

My brother has the Double Dovetails on his 375RUM, BDL S/S.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

I'd go dual dovetail. But I'd use Burris with Burris Signature rings.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Silver Member

Thats the combo on his gun.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Gold Member

I prefer the DD rings. I have no experience with the DMZ set-up. I have my reservations on the Burris Signature rings (with plastic inserts) on heavy recoiling guns. I put a set on my TX200 .177 cal underlever air rifle and twice they have allowed the Simmons 6.5-20 44Mag scope to slide. I know that the air rifle is a torture test for rings/scopes, I just don't know if it's worse than a heavy recoil firearm or not. The TX is set to throw the 7.9g Crosman Premiers @ 900 fps.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:35 PM

Game reaper by DMZ is by far the best mounts I've ever used,I have them on 3 rifles,300 win mag,7mm rem mag and 243 win.No lapping required!!!!!!!! Leupold rings need lapping

Last edited by hillbilly Jim; 12-15-2008 at 05:43 PM.