Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope mount opinions???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Bronze Member

Scope mount opinions???

I searched for scope mounts and looked through 200 posts. Tons on scopes but nada on mounts. Aren't these kinda important?
I've used Conetrol for years b/c they are the strongest I've found. I have NEVER had a scope go off zero with Conetrol mounts and I've banged them around alot. BUT...I just spent an hour and a half remounting a scope in Conetrol mounts. I never did get the reticle perfectly aligned. Every time I got it right, I then moved it by tightening things down.

I never really noticed the reticle alignment issue with these before I started with this longer range business on more than a casual basis. Its just not been a big deal inside 300 yards for me.

Now I'm thinking about it. I don't know if the Conetrol design is adequate. The way you mount with them almost HAS to torque the tube. And I'm not too sure these bases line up real well.

Is base-tube-ring alignment that important inside five or six hundred yards? How about the reticle issue?

I can get damn close. If its not too critical I'll stay with the Conetrol just so I'll know my scope is always on.

Alternatives? Gentry?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope mount opinions???

In my most humble opinion, life is too short to have to deal with such hassles. Once you go Badger (or your favorite brand of that style)...it's hard to want anything else.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope mount opinions???

Expensive but like Jon said, once you get some you will appreciate how well they work. There are hunting grade scope mounts and there are tactical grade scope mounting systems. There is a big difference, believe me. The one-piece Picatinny rails and heavy Weaver style rings are much stronger, repeatable if the scope has to be removed and hopefully easier on your scope since there should not be any alignment problems as with two piece bases. I have used two piece bases that required lapping the rings to obtain true alignment, this is not a consideration when I use Badgers.
I switch scopes from rifle to rifle continually, the rails let me do that with ease.