Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope Mount on a Left Hand Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 02:37 AM

Scope Mount on a Left Hand Rifle

I've been lurking here for quite some time and have learned a ton. You guys ROCK! Now I need some specific help.

I have a Left Handed Remington 700 that I am going to mount a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 on. I want to go with a one-piece picatinny base, either Nightforce or Seekins. I also plan to mount an angle indicator to the base.

I have never personally seen either brand's base and am wondering if they are ambidextrous or if there are any other pluses or minuses that I should be aware of?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope Mount on a Left Hand Rifle

Welcome to the wonderfully frustrating world of being a left handed shooter, my name is Outlaw & i'm you club president

I run a 20moa NightForce Direct Mount on a LH Rem 700 in 6-284:

Scope Mount on a Left Hand Rifle-complete-stock-barreled-action.jpg

I also use 20moa Badger Ordnance on a LH Rem 700 in 338RUM:

Scope Mount on a Left Hand Rifle-338-rum-mk4-m1.jpg

My current go-to manufacturer right now is Murphy Precision. Pictured is a stainless 20moa pic rail on a Stiller Short Action. I have two of these actions both wear the Murphy Precision Rails.

Scope Mount on a Left Hand Rifle-6-5wsm-8.jpg

I know Seekins makes great products, I just haven't used any. If you need any more help, let us know.

t

Old 01-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

I use Near Mfg rails and my smith beds them to the receivers. I am not left handed but can't see whether left or right handed would make a difference. Seekins and Near are of the same quality and you can't go wrong with either.

What Outlaw says is good stuff. Just need to decide which one you prefer and fits your needs. All good stuff.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 PM

I appreciate the help.

I have looked at Badger Ordnance's website before, but I never noticed that they do list left handed scope rails.

Is the Murphy Precision their "over-the-counter" rail, or did you have to machine it for the LH action?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey 3 View Post
I appreciate the help.

...Is the Murphy Precision their "over-the-counter" rail, or did you have to machine it for the LH action?

It will be over the counter, even if they had to make you one the price doesn't change. With Murphy, the design of the rail lends itself to ambi installation.

MurphyPrecision.com - Scope Bases, Rings, and Assorted Shooting Accessories.

Heck, even the Titanium rails are in stock.

t

Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Bronze Member

I have 3 Ken Farrell / 2 Weaver / 1 EGW 1 pc bases on my LH rifles. They all work fine on LH actions.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 AM

Thanks for all of the other options and the pics. I'm looking at all of them.

I e-mailed Nightforce and they responded immediately. It was kind of late in the evening too. Their scope rails are ambidextrous.

In the pictures I've seen, the Seekins rail looks a bit lower profile, which is partially what caught my attention. I like that, as long as a 6.5x284 clears it alright.