Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope mount advice needed for new 300 RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Scope mount advice needed for new 300 RUM

Hey folks, I've been lurking here a while now and have enjoyed all of the useful information. I recently purchased a sendero in 300RUM along with a Leupold vx-3 4x14 50mm obj. 30mm tube. My buddy is encouraging me to get a one piece piccatiny rail for the scope mount. My questions are 1) will the rail mount affect the ejection of the spent cartridge? 2) are some 1913 rails better than others and why? 3) what are the advantages to a rail vs. two piece mounts.
Thanks for any input. I'm sure I will have more questions to follow.
Mark
Old 05-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Gold Member

Re: Scope mount advice needed for new 300 RUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoomark View Post
My questions are 1) will the rail mount affect the ejection of the spent cartridge? 2) are some 1913 rails better than others and why? 3) what are the advantages to a rail vs. two piece mounts.
Thanks for any input. I'm sure I will have more questions to follow.
Mark
1) No.

2) Yes. Some are steel, some are aluminum, some are machined to much higher tolerance than others...... Badger Ordnance, Night Force are the two I like most, but there are certainly other good ones out there.

3) A 1 piece rail will add some additional rigidity to your action (although not big deal in my opinion) The rail gives you much greater flexibility in where you position your scope/rings and will allow you to move it forward or back a notch without removing it from the rings. It can be used to mount other devices such as levels or ACIs. If you use rails on multiple rifles you can easily switch scopes from one to the other without having to un-mount the scope from the rings. They are available from 0 to 40 moa slope to make full use of your scope adjustment range if you are "dialing". I'm sure there are others, but these are the major things that come to mind right off.