Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope Me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

Scope Me

Buying a Savage Arms 10/110 BA .338 Lapua Mag. Narrowed my scope choices down to three manufactures.

Hensoldt

Nightforce

Schmidt Bender

Really looking for the perfect scope model/reticle pattern for THIS rifle. Seen a few posts here from guys that own the same rifle, I'd love to hear their input too. What did you choose and did you wish you had gotten something else? 800-1200 meters targets. Leaning toward the Hensoldt now but I know very little about long range scopes. Price range to $5000. Going offshore now, back in five days. I'll reply then. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I shoot 600-1,000 yds regularly. I doubt that you will benefit from the high optical quality provided by Hensoldt or S&B. Atmospheric turbulence will limit resolution and contrast, not optics. I would go with Nightforce and save a few buck that I could direct toward ammo and accessories.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 PM

Re: Scope Me

Something new for consideration?

http://www.kahlesoptika.com/images/s...i_shot-all.pdf

They have been in use in Europe with great feedback, and for the first time in the US, the Tactical line will be available from the oldest optics company in existence Kahles Est. 1898.

New reticle is also available, the Mil6.

Regards, and please feel free to ask any questions,
Ken
Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

S&B has the best quality glass on the planet. The scopes are also extremely robust. I have done my best to damage them with no affect. The turrets work period! If you are hunting with this scope you will pick up dusk and dawn shooting time, 15 minutes or so which is huge considering that's when animals move the most. It's hard to put a price on that time given the cost of hunts these days. Of course the S&B price is price and weight. They are heavy but so is NF with less optical quality. If weight is not an issue go S&B and you won't look back.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous
.. 800-1200 meters targets...
Doesn't sound like a hunting rifle to me.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Gold Member

Love to get my hands on one, owned some older models they were excellent just, glass was tops, missing the latest updates. Lookslike that is solved. Would go well on my new 338-378 build. That kahles scope.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member

I have the same rifle on order and expect it to arrive in about a month. Just went through the same process of deciding on a scope for it. My other LR rifles have NF and Huskemaw scopes. I have found the glass, and turret reproducibility to be excellent on both. I ended up buying the Nightforce G7 5.5x 22x50. I really like the Huskemaw windage reticle, and turret system, but wanted the .25 MOA adjustments, and the heavy construction of the NF. It looks like the G7 gives me the best of both worlds, particularly with the turret system that has an added MOA scale on the bottom of the turret for the extended range shots that exceed the turret's yardage scale. I have had great success with yardage turrets using the Huskemaw/6.5x284, out to 1000 yards. I believe I can keep the same system with the 338 up to about 1000 yards, and easily switch to MOA for the extended ranges,which is my primary reason for getting the 338. I'll see if this all works out. It should.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt