Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Is this a scope issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 01:13 AM
Gold Member

Re: Is this a scope issue

I think you are misunderstanding, Most Remington actions are upgraded to a Sako Extractor, The mini ? extractor is a longer version of the Sako and maybe a little wider. The Stiller action is a bolt action very similar to the Remington 700 in shape
Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post
I think you are misunderstanding, Most Remington actions are upgraded to a Sako Extractor, The mini ? extractor is a longer version of the Sako and maybe a little wider. The Stiller action is a bolt action very similar to the Remington 700 in shape
You are right. That was a total misunderstanding. Sorry.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 PM

I would load up 50 rounds of your favorite load, but seat them all 0.004" off the lands, and rig up a way to bring your press to the range. Fire 5 shots and see how they group. With the press re-seat the next 5 rounds to 0.008" off the lands and see how they group. Continue seating each (5) shot group 0.004" deeper than the previous. The final group would be 0.044" off the lands. You should observe some very interesting groups, some will string, some will be ovals, and HOPEFULLY at least 1 (probably more) will group to your expectations. Note: You could set the seating depths at home to the various depths, but when you discover very early that the 0.008" off the lands is the magic seating depth, you can easily seat the remaining bullets to that while still at the range.

Last edited by ColoYooper; 02-19-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

I would add just one thing to 'Yooper's advice; seat the first group with the bullets kissing the lands...not hard into them...just barely touching. A lot of rifles shoot their best groups with the bullets seated to some degree into the lands.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Bronze Member

Since its. New barrel it has not broke in yet fully. Will only get better the more you shoot it.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter1000 View Post
Since its. New barrel it has not broke in yet fully. Will only get better the more you shoot it.
That was kind of what I was hoping as the first time out the last group looked like this first 4 groups. Just been too cold and windy to go back yet.
I have had scope issues before on comp rifles but that's a little easier for me to pick out as I shoot free recoil and know I'm not introducing any holding errors.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

While this can be caused by the scope, it's probably low on the list of causes. In my experience several things can cause this type of dispersion:

Shooting problem: Trigger break, sight picture, hold consistency, rest consistency.
Rifle problem: Bedding, loose scope mounts, defective scope
Load problem: Seating depth with Berger VLD's, powder, bullet, case prep(runout)

The only way to figure it out is to isolate the issue. Most importantly, don't change too many variables at one time. The heavier the recoil compared to what you are used to, look to a shooting problem. If someone else set up your rifle, look to a rifle issue, especially bedding and mounts. If you are using VLD's, check seating depth or try a standard bullet. The scope is the easiest, try another one. iMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt