Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

Scope Info for my .375 H&H

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 06-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 124
Re: Scope Info for my .375 H&H

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Sounds like a good time to evaluate those loads for temperature sensitivity. No need to test me its out of my comfort range. Upper 60's here, raining, with thunder booming since sometime in the night. I hope it backs off enough for you to test it out soon.
I grew up here and living in the heat has been part of it. But now that I'm older (61) I really loath the extreme heat.

Will wait until it passes and gets back to the normal temps around 106-110.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 2,245
Re: Scope Info for my .375 H&H

I helped my grandmother irrigate in the San Joaquin Valley, I remember a stretch when the lowest high temperature was 113. I've been on a couple of Antelope hunts in Nevada, that were on the warm side. We do adapt, but thank goodness for AC.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-29-2013, 11:45 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Alaska
Posts: 86
Re: Scope Info for my .375 H&H

Meopta Artemis 2000 2-8x42mm with 4B reticle.
__________________
*********************************************
You can piddle with the puppies...or run with the wolves.

Better living through chemistry.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 843
Re: Scope Info for my .375 H&H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdslammer View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and info fellas.

I purchased the Leupold VX-III, 3.5-10x40mm / Boone & Crockett reticle.

I spoke with the people at CZ and they recommended the CZ rings made
especially for the CZ 550 Safari .375 H&H which I purchased.

I p/u my .375 yesterday from my local FFL dealer. She looks great. Seem to be
very sturdy and well built. I have a few different types of ammo to try out.
Break in the barrel and make sure the iron sights are in line before mounting
the new scope.

Problem is, right now here in Las Vegas, NV we are experiencing some brutal heat for
the next 5-6 days. Temps up as high as 116*-118*. Even at 06:00 it's
already at 91*. Way too hot right now.

Thanks again.

MDslammer / Mark
The VXIII 3.5-10x40 is a pretty solid choice IMO. Because the H&H is more of an all around type cartridge, I think an all around type scope makes sense.

My CZ wears a Meopta Artemis 1.5-6x42 with #4A ranging reticle mounted in Warne QD rings.

I like it a lot, but it does have two shortcomings: The eye relief is a bit short. It's not a problem for offhand shooting, but requires one to pay attention from the bench. The other shortcoming also manifests itself mainly from the bench-- limited magnification. When doing load development, more magnification really helps. Being limited to 6X makes it difficult for me to shoot at small targets in the "round robin" fashion that I am used to.

I have another set of Warne QD rings waiting for a scope. I have hit upon the idea of moving my Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 w/RZ-1000 reticle to the CZ for load development, and possibly, field use in NA. While working on a load for the Hornady 300g SPBT, I discovered that the trajectory closely matched the RZ-1000 reticle all the way to 1000 yards. I am looking forward to playing with that once I settle on a final load.

I have also been working on some long range loads using some high bc bullets. If successful, I will have to step up to a scope with more internal adjustment.

When I take my CZ to Africa, however, it will be wearing the Meopta.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 124
Re: Scope Info for my .375 H&H

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
The VXIII 3.5-10x40 is a pretty solid choice IMO. Because the H&H is more of an all around type cartridge, I think an all around type scope makes sense.

My CZ wears a Meopta Artemis 1.5-6x42 with #4A ranging reticle mounted in Warne QD rings.

I like it a lot, but it does have two shortcomings: The eye relief is a bit short. It's not a problem for offhand shooting, but requires one to pay attention from the bench. The other shortcoming also manifests itself mainly from the bench-- limited magnification. When doing load development, more magnification really helps. Being limited to 6X makes it difficult for me to shoot at small targets in the "round robin" fashion that I am used to.

I have another set of Warne QD rings waiting for a scope. I have hit upon the idea of moving my Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 w/RZ-1000 reticle to the CZ for load development, and possibly, field use in NA. While working on a load for the Hornady 300g SPBT, I discovered that the trajectory closely matched the RZ-1000 reticle all the way to 1000 yards. I am looking forward to playing with that once I settle on a final load.

I have also been working on some long range loads using some high bc bullets. If successful, I will have to step up to a scope with more internal adjustment.

When I take my CZ to Africa, however, it will be wearing the Meopta.


benchracer,
Thanks for taking time to give me your perspective and info. Glad to hear my choice was OK for my .375 H&H.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 843
Re: Scope Info for my .375 H&H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdslammer View Post
benchracer,
Thanks for taking time to give me your perspective and info. Glad to hear my choice was OK for my .375 H&H.
I hope that my feedback was useful to you. I am always interested to hear from others shooting .375's, but especially the H&H and even more so in a CZ 550/BRNO 602 type action.

I hope that you will provide updates on your progress with your rifle from time to time.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 124
Re: Scope Info for my .375 H&H

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
I hope that my feedback was useful to you. I am always interested to hear from others shooting .375's, but especially the H&H and even more so in a CZ 550/BRNO 602 type action.

I hope that you will provide updates on your progress with your rifle from time to time.
I don't know how much I can add to this already knowledgeable forum, but for
what it's worth, I certainly will.

Lapping the CZ rings now and then will mount my scope. I hope for cooler
weather next week so I can get out to break in the barrel and zero my scope.

Thanks again.

MDslammer.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
In the last 12 months, what was your longest rifle kill on big game?
0 to 200 yards - 25.95%
1,531 Vote
201 to 400 yards - 32.12%
1,895 Vote
401 to 600 yards - 23.09%
1,362 Vote
601 to 800 yards - 10.00%
590 Votes
801 to 1,000 yards - 3.92%
231 Votes
Over 1,000 yards - 4.92%
290 Votes
Total Votes: 5,899
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC