Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which scope has the most accurate turrets? :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Gold Member

Which scope has the most accurate turrets? :)

Just wondering...

Which scope or scopes on the market have proven to have accurate enough turrets for dialing up shots at extended ranges?

I know that my Weaver Grand Slam can hang with the best of them... but it does not have target turrets--which is something I'm looking for on my next scope.

I also prefer exposed (tactical style) turrets...

Ideas?

Dan
Old 01-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which scope has the most accurate turrets? :)

Gentlemen,
I would also like to hear your opinions on this one.
Please start typing, come on!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 01-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Green man ! ,

My experience is limited to a few mfgs. , they are Leupold, Nikon , and Nightforce.

1. inexpensive Leupolds ( below vx3) have exhibited tendencies to not move the poi until a lot of correction is dialed then wham ! your twice too far,

2. Leupolds ( vx3 and mk4 ) have responded accurately to changes and have been dialed way up for a shot then back to zero and they are on . One such Leupold was sent to the Leupold custom shop for target style turrets ( $ 54.00 per dial ) and has performed as it shuold ever since . That was a vx3 4.5x14x40. The mk4 has the exposed style turrets and is like a slot car , in a groove so to speak.
3. The Nikon is a 4.5x14x40 sf( side parallax adj. ) Haven't been out too long but has made a name for itself with me at least . It will do what you tell it to .< over and over and it has finger adj. dials ( no coin needed ) under a twistof cover and it also has revolution gradations marked on the turret so you can range and dial with the big boys and still get back to your zero even if you forget how many times you went around .
4. Night force works as it should , repeatable as a Mk4 , They are on par with the Mk4 's as far as optics and function( I am speaking about one 5.5x22x56 ) I couldn't tell any diff in brightness in the middle of the day . Will have to compare early/late . I will say that I feel like the Leupold has a more refined look about it but that is an aesthetic judgment on my part . I'm not sure the extra dollars for a NF is justifiable .
You might consider buying a used Leupold of the vx3 level and sending it to the Leupold custom shop to have the targer style turrete installed . They are not exposed but for long range work it is not a big deal tio take m off and putem back on when your done . You can als have your reticle changed to one you may like better at the same time.

Just depends on the dollars you want to spend , probably the best deal going is the Nikon . By the way they are bright as or maybe a tad more than the vx3 Leupolds in my opinion .

Happy choosing ! Jim
Old 01-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Old Redfields - 6X18 accurange. Up and down all day long.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Leupolds can "hang" if going up a couple clicks and then jump up. Cecil Tucker in TX makes a conversion that stops that. Looks like the NF model. Premier conversions replace the springs and normally correct that.

Almost all will have varying click values inspite of what they say on top. Way to test is to set up 30" line at 100 yards and lock gun in cleaning vise and click to end of line from one end and count clicks and then divide to determine actual value. YOu can do it also on 24". Might be true 1/4 and might be .278 also. Got to check.

BH
Old 01-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

Jimm,

You wrote: "The mk4 has the exposed style turrets and is like a slot car , in a groove so to speak."

Can you elaborate on that? The Mk4 is the one I'm considering, a 3.5 to 10 with illuminated TMR reticle...

But I want the M3 version. It has a bottom stop, which I think will be nice. (I once cranked 10 MOA too low on my Bushnell Elite 10X and hit the ground under a deer! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ) I know the clicks are coarse, but with the hash marks on the TMR reticle I think it'll be no problem to dial to the nearest MOA and hold over/under...

Dan
Old 01-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Gold Member

Bounty Hunter, is what you say true of the Mk4's as well? And does Premier make them more reliable?

I'm a total novice on high dollar scopes... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Dan