Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

scope has clunking noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Bronze Member

scope has clunking noise

Dont know what is wrong but I have to sight it in After every shot can here a clunking when tilt it back and forth . Then it goes away for a couple of weeks and then comes back again . It is an older bushnel 4x12-40 . Is it worth sending to bushnell or would it be cheaper to buy a new one . Going to put my 6-24x50 mil dot bushnell on it now instead . It has been a good scope for 5 years but maybe everything must come to an end.

Noticed today that the bottom cross hair on the scope is broke as well . Took it apart and noticed it was like a string in there . Is this how allscopes are I though the mil dot ,crosshairs where on a glass lens .
Old 02-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

Re: scope has clunking noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywire05 View Post
Dont know what is wrong but I have to sight it in After every shot can here a clunking when tilt it back and forth . Then it goes away for a couple of weeks and then comes back again . It is an older bushnel 4x12-40 . Is it worth sending to bushnell or would it be cheaper to buy a new one . Going to put my 6-24x50 mil dot bushnell on it now instead . It has been a good scope for 5 years but maybe everything must come to an end.

Noticed today that the bottom cross hair on the scope is broke as well . Took it apart and noticed it was like a string in there . Is this how allscopes are I though the mil dot ,crosshairs where on a glass lens .
It sounds like you need to replace it .

Some of the older scopes had wire for cross hairs , Most of the newer scopes now laser etch
the cross hairs on the lense for dependablity.

And the milldots are done the same way.

We have all trashed scopes and it is sometimes hard to get rid of them but sometimes it is
better to cut your losses and move on.

J E CUSTOM