close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Reply

scope for extreme range shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 10-15-2011, 02:37 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6
scope for extreme range shooting

What scopes are you guy's using for shooting 2000 to 3000 yards?
I am having a 338 snipetac with 40 moa rail built right now and have 4 to 5 months to decide on what scope to put on it.I have a Nightforce nxs 5.5x22 on my custom 30/378 that has been working great to 1730 yards (are furthest target) but was thinking i might need higher magnification for extreme ranges.I also need approximately 110 to 115 moa elevation to reach 3000yards.
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 10-18-2011, 01:41 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Posts: 1,213
    Re: scope for extreme range shooting

    I am pretty sure you are NOT getting to 3000 yards with ANY scope and a 40MOA rail. I have seen several "adjustable" bases/rings. One was in a write up in PS, and the other was made by a gunsmith down near where I shoot 1000 BR in Harris, MN......Elmer something....sorry, I am TERRIBLE with names. But, he is well known in that Harris/ Cambridge/Prinston/Mora area. He did the scoring at the IBS 1000 yard nats in 2010. I also think he does the scoring for the IBS 600 yard matches held there. The one I had my hands on was adjustable to 150 MOA!!!

    Also...I punched in a 300 grn SMK at 3000 fps......175 moa to 3000 yards with a 100 yd zero!!! What-N-L are you shooting that only needs 115 MOA?

    Last edited by 4xforfun; 10-18-2011 at 02:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 10-18-2011, 01:50 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Posts: 30
    Re: scope for extreme range shooting

    Go with a March Scope!!! Highest magnification, 5-32x52 or 10-60x52 or the new 8-80x56!!! These Scopes are awesome!! I have a 2.5-25x42 on my 7WSM!!! Great Scope. The US Distributor is Kelblys i think!!!
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 10-18-2011, 03:29 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Posts: 6
    Re: scope for extreme range shooting

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
    I am pretty sure you are NOT getting to 3000 yards with ANY scope and a 40MOA rail. I have seen several "adjustable" bases/rings. One was in a write up in PS, and the other was made by a gunsmith down near where I shoot 1000 BR in Harris, MN......Elmer something....sorry, I am TERRIBLE with names. But, he is well known in that Harris/ Cambridge/Prinston/Mora area. He did the scoring at the IBS 1000 yard nats in 2010. I also think he does the scoring for the IBS 600 yard matches held there. The one I had my hands on was adjustable to 150 MOA!!!

    Also...I punched in a 300 grn SMK at 3000 fps......175 moa to 3000 yards with a 100 yd zero!!! What-N-L are you shooting that only needs 115 MOA?
    Hi
    It is a 338 snipetac with a 34 inch barrel it will shoot 300gr smk's at 3500 fps,but I will be concentrating on the higher bc bullets.I am having some custom bullets made that are alot like the henson aluminum tipped bullet(high bc +265gr).I will also be trying the rocky mountain 325gr a.t. bullet it has a claimed bc of 1.035 if i put that into my ballistics software at 3300fps it says 98.93 moa for 3000 yards (200 yard zero).
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 10-18-2011, 03:39 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Posts: 6
    Re: scope for extreme range shooting

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7mm Wsm View Post
    Go with a March Scope!!! Highest magnification, 5-32x52 or 10-60x52 or the new 8-80x56!!! These Scopes are awesome!! I have a 2.5-25x42 on my 7WSM!!! Great Scope. The US Distributor is Kelblys i think!!!
    hi
    I have been researching March scopes and they are at the top of my list.I think I will try the 10-60.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 10-18-2011, 05:09 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: NW Mt.
    Posts: 599
    Re: scope for extreme range shooting

    I think the USO SN-9 fits the bill better than any. 120 moa of travel will easily get the
    50 to 3000. External adjustments keep things inside fixed.
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 10-18-2011, 05:56 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Sep 2009
    Posts: 6
    Re: scope for extreme range shooting

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loner View Post
    I think the USO SN-9 fits the bill better than any. 120 moa of travel will easily get the
    50 to 3000. External adjustments keep things inside fixed.
    I just checked the specs on the sn-9 it has 235 moa total travel for elevation WOW!!!!!
    Thanks!!
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: scope for extreme range shooting
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    new to long range shooting and need advice on scope squeeze dont jerk The Basics, Starting Out 5 08-11-2011 11:24 AM
    Scope for night coyote hunting and long range daytime target shooting egts Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 7 08-04-2009 05:01 PM
    Long Range Scope for target shooting jfarleyrules Long Range Competition 1 08-03-2007 06:31 AM
    Extreme Long Range Shooting Saulg Long Range Hunting & Shooting 13 09-04-2005 09:09 AM
    Need advise on extreme range scope... Fiftydriver Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 13 06-04-2004 12:38 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC