Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope -Dialing Up Elevation ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope -Dialing Up Elevation ?

This program is in a sticky thread here in Bullets Barrels and Ballistics posted by Klinkers.

http://biggameinfo.com/BalCalcAdv.aspx

Once you put in your information regarding Muzzle velocity and conditions you can select one of the options to get your drops in "MOA+ clicks" if you want.

You can pick to get your ballistics in yardage steps as small as one yard or by 100 yards. (usually 10 to 25 yards is most useful)

The best part is that you can copy and paste the ballistic chart into a spread sheet without having to muck around with it. Then you can shrink the font or delete info you don't want ore add info you do want then print the thing for taping to your stock.

Give it a good honest try and you will soon see the potential.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I can't keep track of anything like numbers when there is game in the scope,

[/ QUOTE ]

Calm down Roy. You are too close. If you are long range hunting they don't know you are there.

[ QUOTE ]
Was going to suggest a counting method, but it sure looked stupid when written + you gotta count all the clicks regardless, then remember to go back to zero before making the next adjustment. I screw this up repeatedly. So I gave up.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? I would have given this up as well. You are a man in need of help. We are here for you.

[ QUOTE ]
Ended up with a mil dot scope then put a cartridge under it so that with a 250 or 300 yard zero I can go to 1000+ with a 5 mil hold-over. 5 mils is where the wide post starts. When that isn't enough I'll get a different reticle that goes down 8 mils and or an even flatter shooting cartridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Step away from the crack pipe and learn to dial. It is easy if you try the 4ked horn method of MOA + Clicks and a stock chart to match. (unless it is just an excuse to get another gun.) BTW getting tapered bases for a top dot zero at 300 yards is cheaper than either a new scope or a new gun. This gives you 9 dots down. Or you could.... JUST LEARN TO DIAL!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I get anxious enough just trying to get the shot off while optimum shot conditions exist, which is usually short and gets shorter as distance increases

[/ QUOTE ]

Again I ask WTF? If the deer don't know you are a half mile away how would the conditions go away?

And I don't think shooting at moving game is a great idea. This is one of those things I have picked up from the folks that have been at this game long before I ever knew about it. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Roy does your scope have numbers on the turrets? I'm asking because dialing is so easy if you do but I can understand the problem if you don't. If you are really this apprehensive about it I would be glad to discuss why with you.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

I zero my rifles at 200 yards. I have found that when you zero at 100 yards, your trajectory is to much of an arc for the faster shots where you cant "click up". You either shoot way to high or way to low. 200 yard zero simplifies things a bit, while giving you a little more range on your scope.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Gold Member

I too like sighting my rifle(s) in at further than 100 yards. I normally sight in for 300yds (depending on how flat shooting your rifle is, 200 may be more practical)

With the 300yd zero I can just aim and shoot out to 400 on deer and larger sized game. For longer shots I dial up from there. This allows me to make a quick shot out to 400 without thinking about it. At ranges longer than that, If I don't have time to think about it and gauge all the variables, then set up.....I don't shoot.

On my chart I also note the (-) clicks for exact poi at 200 and 100yds, just in case I want to shoot crow, pdog or other small critter where an inch or two will matter.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

I've read all this and it has helped me out.
I got my scope and owners manual for it out and read it in detail.Should have did that from the get go!

4ked horn,
My scope does have the 1 tall 3 short graduations -it's a 6.5 x 20 =50 zeiss by the way.I now understand how the scope is sighted in then bring the turrets to zero.
I think i'll stick with the 200yd zero initially and get my ballistics card in the MOA+x amount of clicks.
And i will take the advice to go off the numbers on the scope turrets and not count MOA.Thanks Mike
Old 02-06-2006, 01:59 AM
Platinum Member

I'll jump in here, cause I can.

Mike, dialing a scope is easy. I don't know what scope you have, so I'll tell you how mine works. My scope has a zero mark at center which can be seen while shooting. After zeroing at one hundred you take the knobs off and put them back on so the zeroes line up with the marks.

I like to carry the rifle with the elevation knob set on 2. This is a two hundred yard zero. Out to 300, I don't have to compensate for any elevation. My turrets have 12 min in one turn. My scope doesn't have hash marks to show how many turns of elevation I have used. Lots of them do. If I lose track of where I'm at, I know zero is 2.5 turns down from topped out, and 1.5 turns up from bottomed out. So, I can always turn the scope all the way up or down, then back to zero. I haven't lost track yet.

Another option I like is the reticles with crosshairs for various yardages. Leupold has two, burris has one, and Nikon added one this year. For shooting at big game out to 500 yards, these reticles offer speed and good accuracy. For anything further than 500 you dial. The leupolds also have 10 mph windage ticks, a handy reference.

A card taped to the stock would work well. Mine say 10+2,14+1 etc. I don't count, I look at the numbers.Be sure to understand how temp, elevation, and inclination affect your drop chart. Another option is a steel tape offered by leupold. It clamps to your scope, looking very much like another turret. You simply pull it out, look up your drop and let it go. Some of these guys carry pda's with ballistic programs in the field. Last thing I want to look at hunting is a computer. Even a tiny one. But they have merit, til you drop one, forget it, or the battey dies.

Roy,
As always, I enjoyed your post. More truthfully I enjoyed 4kd's response. I like to dial for elevation, and hold for windage. I find it impossible to hold for both. So, when you're holding six mils high, what's your reference for windage? Air? I just like to have at least one solid line crossing point of aim. Not knocking the mil dot sytem at all.

To sum it up, my needs have evolved with just a little experience. Enjoy your shooting.

Lumberjak, that you? Welcome.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:45 AM
Bronze Member

One way is the card with the clicks for all differant yardages written on it and taped to the gun. Or you can go to the Loupold Custom Shop. Fill out their questionare on caliber, bullet, and velocity. They will make you a calibrated turrent cap, that will be calibrated for your load. Then when you have ranged the target with your range finder, just dial in the yardage on the turrent. Seen this on a video, so I asked about the scopes they were using at the sports store. They showed me Loupolds catalog and the services provided by their custom shop.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.