Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope -Dialing Up Elevation ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

Scope -Dialing Up Elevation ?

Howdoo,
I'm just getting into dialing up elevation and have a couple of questions.
Whats the best way/place to start,sight in at 250yds and expierament out from there on your drops?

Do you have a mark or something to come back to zero ,on the elevation turret?

Is a simple card taped on the stock w/clicks per yards a good way ?
Going to try for the 500 yard club on my spring praire dog shoot with a 22-250. Thanks Mike
Old 02-01-2006, 11:59 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Scope -Dialing Up Elevation ?

[ QUOTE ]
Whats the best way/place to start,sight in at 250yds and expierament out from there on your drops?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure someone will disagree, but I like to be zeroed @ 100 yds. For me, it just makes things much more simple.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a mark or something to come back to zero ,on the elevation turret?

[/ QUOTE ]
Depending on your scope, but most have a way to set a zero, so to speak. Whether it be by lifting and turning the turret or by loosening a set screw.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Should work great. If you can, get out and practice a little at the ranges you plan to shoot to confirm your drops. With a little practice, you'll get the 500 yarder!!
Old 02-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That should work well but I would reccomend noting the adjustments in MOA and remaining clicks.
If your scope has 1/4 MOA per click adjustments and you want to dial up 43 clicks that is alot to count and keep track of while keeping an eye on your deer. But if you think of it as 10 MOA plus 3 clicks it is much easier to deal with. I am assuming that your scope turrets are marked in groups of 4 lines ie:a tall line and 3 short ones then a tall line and 3 short ones and so on. Even better if they have numbers above the tall lines noting the MOA steps.

If your range card says 10+3 or 22+0 or 45+1 that saves ALOT of counting and susequently an error that might result in a miss at the extended ranges.

If you would like I can direct you to an on line ballistics calculator that will compute this for you and allow you to print a card custom made for your loads and shooting conditions. It is VERY handy.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

What the above guys have said is good.

I'm several months behind you with this. I can't keep track of anything like numbers when there is game in the scope, except for maybe chucks and PDs. Can't see it at all for anything that has hooves.

Was going to suggest a counting method, but it sure looked stupid when written + you gotta count all the clicks regardless, then remember to go back to zero before making the next adjustment. I screw this up repeatedly. So I gave up. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Ended up with a mil dot scope then put a cartridge under it so that with a 250 or 300 yard zero I can go to 1000+ with a 5 mil hold-over. 5 mils is where the wide post starts. When that isn't enough I'll get a different reticle that goes down 8 mils and or an even flatter shooting cartridge.

I get anxious enough just trying to get the shot off while optimum shot conditions exist, which is usually short and gets shorter as distance increases. And shooting at a moving animal at 1K is most probably not a good thing. Saw a fellow shoot at the 3rd elk in a string at 800 or so and make a perfect hit on the 4th elk. Lucky thing it was a cow. Everyone hi 5'd him on a great shot, but he and I knew the truth.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Bronze Member

Here is my 2 cents:

I learned in highpower shooting NOT to count clicks. Use and trust the numbers on your sights/scopes. I usually only gauge to 1 MOA, but will sometimes cut that in half (I wish they made 1/2 min scope adjustments...1/4 min is too fine for big game IMO)

I zero all rifles at 100 yards. This is your baseline.

When I hit the field, I will dial in a 200 yard zero . This is my "walking around" zero. If something pops up if front of me within 300 (ish) yards, I am good to go.

If I see something farther away, I range it and dial in the extra MOA's that I need (again, looking at the sight numbers, not counting).

When done, I dial it back to 100, until the next trip out.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:07 PM

4ked if you would share that info with me i would really appreciate it.I have been huntin a ballistics program.Thanks
LJ
Old 02-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

I've always zeroed my rifles at 100 yards, then used Sierra Bullets software to find out how much drop my bullet have at 100 yards. Then add that drop amount to the line of sight height above the muzzle axis for a correction. Finally I'd move the sight up in elevation moa an amount equal to that correction then rezero the adjustment knobs so they're at mechanical zero for that rifle. All this process does is zero the sights to the bore axis. I call it "dynamic bore sighting." And rarely does it agree with traditional "static bore sighting" by looking (or lasering) through the bore then the sights and converging them. Most folks don't believe how much difference there is.

Anyway, after getting a dynamic bore sight, I use Sierra's software or range shooting to get the come ups for different ranges and altitudes. I'll tape 'em to the stock or whatever. And learning to count the clicks lets you keep your eyes on what the target and conditions are doing.