Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope Covers for my scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Scope Covers for my scope

I was just trying to help out, the Leupold certainly are nice.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

No Worries Zep. I really really really think the Leupold covers look cool, but I'm kinda a cheap guy on some stuff. Might be one of those upgrade things down the road from now.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 AM
Silver Member

I bought a set of the Leupold Aluminas a few years ago. Used them on a snowy hunt and couldn't keep them closed. I guess the magnets weren't strong enough. Anyway, I changed them back to the BCs after that hunt. I have used these caps (BCs) on many rifles for over 30 years and have never had any issues with them. I liked the Lupys, but not for a foul weather scope cover. Especially for around $90. YMMV.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

Bad deal when the lid won't stay down......

This is a case of 2 manufacturers selling similar products, one cheap one expensive. Both work but one works better and the cheaper just happens to be better. That in itself is unusual.

I like the Leupold caps too, They appeal to my asthetic taste, however, cheap plastic is fine too, especially if the cheap plastic works.......
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Silver Member

Pretty much sums it up......

I guess I look at it this way, I can replace my cheap covers 4-5 times for the cost of one set of the Leupold's. Plus, I have a buddy with the BC's and they seem alright.

I found my caliper the other night and just got an exact measurement of the sizes I need, not what the manufacturer specs it at. I just want to make sure I buy the right cover sizes.

Someone told me once that if you are on the fence with 2 sizes, to buy the smaller one so they fit better. Makes sense to me. Anybody have any input on this.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Not too much smaller. They are plastic so they stretch a bit. Take a caliper and measure the OD of the ocular and objective and order accordingly.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

Don't hold me to this, but I think the BCs are 13 eyepiece and 43 objective. I'm pretty sure the 43 is correct.