Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope cover from England improved parallax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope cover from England improved parallax

Parallax control for a scope, either range focusing or not, is moving ones head so their eye's on the optical axis of the scope.

For a given target range and the scope's focused 10% further or closer to it, higher powered scopes will show more parallax error for a given aiming eye offset from the scope's optical axis compared to lower powered scopes.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Silver Member

I'm quite familiar with parallax error.

Attaching a little ring with arrows on my ocular housing is not as desirable as selecting an optic that can be adjusted to be parallax free at the distances I intend to shoot.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

Bart,
When you were shooting that 3.325" 20 shot group at 800 yards that was in the May 1997 Krieger barrel advertisement, were you nulling out the parallax with a knob on the 20X scope, or centering your eye?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Silver Member

I truly hope you understand that I'm not advocating improper cheek weld and having your eye centered behind the optic. That's not what I was saying at all. It is important to be centered up, no doubt.

However, from my experience, when you dial out the parallax using the provided method on a rifle scope, whether it be side focus or adjustable objective, where the crosshair lays, is where the bullet goes. You can shift your eye out of position, and yet it does not affect the shot.

I'm willing to concede that on some rifle scopes of lesser quality, it would make a difference however.

On some scopes I've had, for instance. The image would be in focus, but parallax error would be present. In order to be parallax free, I would have to deal with an out of focus target.