Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope cover from England improved parallax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Silver Member

Scope cover from England improved parallax

I watched this Brit pellet gun video
12 foot pound pellet gun ranging is a lot like long range hunting with a 7mmRM, but divide all the ranges by 10.

he shows a lens cover called an accucover.

I Googled that and found
Products - Accucover

I ordered one from England and it arrived today, 8 days later.

It really works.
I hunt deer at 400 -500 yards with a Leupold 2x7x32 [no parallax adjustment] with a Stoney Point turret for elevation, a Leica CRF 1600, a kestrel, a chart I make from Quickload/Quicktarget, a rear bag, and a swivel bipod.

The way I have been overcoming parallax is to back my eye way back from the eyepiece until the image is smaller than the eyepiece. Then I center the image in the eyepiece by moving my head. This works for target shooting, but is not fast.

The accucover allows me to have my head way forward, in the middle, or way back, and the target is centered fast.

I have made two pics while looking at the floor. My first pic has the camera sort of in line, and the second is out of line with the scope tube. You can see the fast correction from the second pic to the first would be to get the cross hairs to line up with the marks on the scope cover.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Scope cover from England improved parallax-parallax-b-2-21-2013.jpg   Scope cover from England improved parallax-parallax-2-21-2013.jpg  

Old 02-22-2013, 10:52 PM

Re: Scope cover from England improved parallax

I guess this product may be good for someone who is cockeyed. That's right, I said Dukakeyed.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Gold Member

If you simply put a circular aperture centered over the objective lines of any rifle scope it will reduce the exit pupil diameter which has the effect of limiting the maximum parallax that having one's eye off axis can produce. It will also dim the apparent image brightness if the exit pupil is smaller than your eye's iris and with a very small aperture reduce the optical resolution.

It does actually work. Using a scope with a objective focus, properly focused, works much better.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

Are you Louis Boyd from usenet rec.guns 15 years ago?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

If you've focused your scope properly for target range, you won't have parallax at all. But that parallax thing on the website was pretty good at showing what it really is.

The anti-cant thing's interesting, but not all that important at reasonable hunting ranges.

Bart
Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
Are you Louis Boyd from usenet rec.guns 15 years ago?
I was there 15 years ago and still visit there occasionaly. I don't remember anyone else with a similar name..
Old 02-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

I could see a benefit while using an optic with no parallax control.

However, I see no benefit in actually using a scope without parallax control of some kind.