Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

scope to compliment a NULA 300 Win Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: scope to compliment a NULA 300 Win Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber338 View Post
the new NF SHV could be an option, but I think a little heavy at 28 oz when comparing to the options already discussed in this thread. So many factors to consider when building a light-weight specific rifle.

I am hoping that nightforce continues to develop more scopes within the SHV line, such as a 50mm objective, and a higher magnification offering, like maybe reaching up to 18 to 20x. Something like a 5-18x50mm that weighed 25 oz's or less would start to get my attention.
1 pound difference doesn't strike me as much of a problem, though I know some guys like really light units.

I suppose he is talking about a model 28 weighing in at less than 6 pounds. in 300WM, I think I would be adding a few pounds to that one. As a mater of fact, I might just workout another month and take a 10# gun... but kudos to the guy who shoots a 7# 300WM setup and shoots it well.

To me, it doesn't do me any good to pack a rifle in that I cant soot at dusk because I don't have enough glass. or if my scope gets banged around, it knocks it off its zero just enough to miss at 800 yards. that's why I would chose the nightforce. Just sayin...
Old 06-10-2014, 02:33 PM

Thanks for all the input and replies and yes it
Does have a lot to do with weight and packing
In the mountains a couple ounces here and there turns
Into pounds before you know it was trying to stay under
The 20oz. Mark to stay around the 7 lb mark
This is not a rifle you go out and plink with on the
Weekend it is a tool for a specific purpose
And hopefully only 1 round is all that needs to
Be fired
Thanks again
Old 06-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
1 pound difference doesn't strike me as much of a problem, though I know some guys like really light units.

I suppose he is talking about a model 28 weighing in at less than 6 pounds. in 300WM, I think I would be adding a few pounds to that one. As a mater of fact, I might just workout another month and take a 10# gun... but kudos to the guy who shoots a 7# 300WM setup and shoots it well.

To me, it doesn't do me any good to pack a rifle in that I cant soot at dusk because I don't have enough glass. or if my scope gets banged around, it knocks it off its zero just enough to miss at 800 yards. that's why I would chose the nightforce. Just sayin...
I totally agree with you here. I'm in the middle of building a "backpack/carry" weight 338 RUM. I'm planning on the fully outfitted rifle weighing around 11 pounds. Will go with an NXS, the SHV not even a consideration. I think the flip side is having a rifle so heavy that you just don't want to hike to the next ridge because you're out of gas, and you miss out on a herd of elk. But then that goes along with your comment about taking the time to get in shape!

To the OP, there's tons of choices which make the decision tough... no right or wrong answer. But my own philosophy is that I'll take a bit extra weight in optics, and try and save weight in other places.
Borden Timberline 300 Win Mag - Hart 26" #4 fluted - McMillan A3 Edge - Jewell Trigger - ATACR
Old 06-12-2014, 08:26 AM

So I think I have narrowed down to the leupold vx6 3-18 or
The huskemaw 4-16 I like the reticle in the huskemaw
For those that may have experience with either or both would
Greatly appreciate the input I have not been able to look through
Either scope
Old 06-20-2014, 11:25 PM

I own 3 ULA's and the reason I do is to avoid the weight. On my .300wm I had a Zeiss and had troubles with the scope. I called Melvin and had a good conversation with him. He essentially said the zeiss was not designed for the recoil. He was trying to explain the physics of a heavy scope on a light rifle but i am not that technical. He highly recommended the leupold vx3. 3.5-14 x 40. I bought it from the custom shop and had the reticle designed around the bullet I hunt with. I could not be happier. I have shot 6 elk and 2 caribou with that combination at a wide range of distances and it has never let me down. My advice would be to call Nula and talk to Melvin. He will not steer you wrong.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:32 AM

Mess33 thank you for your input I have talked with
Melvin. And he has explained the recoil affect in his rifles In what
Caliber are the rifles you have. Just wondering
Old 06-21-2014, 07:59 AM

I have 2 .300 win mags and a .270. The second .300 I bought for my son. It has a muzzle brake. I bought it used and have not had a chance to shoot it much. My other ULA is a .270 and I use it for everything smaller than Elk. I am hoping to go on a Moose hunt or Brown bear hunt in the next year or 2 and hoping to find a nice used ULA in the .338 class. Love these rifles. You can hike all day and not know they are there. They are not bench guns they are hunting guns.