Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

scope to compliment a NULA 300 Win Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 11:57 PM

scope to compliment a NULA 300 Win Mag

I have a New Ultra Light Arms 300 win mag due that should be ready for a scope in a little more than a month and am racking my brain for a scope to compliment the rifle
looking and Leupold Vx6 3-18, zeiss conquiest 3-15, Swarovski z5 3-18, have never used any of the three but ounces count or should I be looking at the huskemaw 4-16
anyone with an input would be greatly appreciated the Swarovski is a bit out of my budget. also looking at a turret for the scope the intended purpose is hunting elk and mule deer

thanks in advance
Old 06-10-2014, 07:23 AM
Bronze Member

Re: scope to compliment a NULA 300 Win Mag

Perfect compliment to your light rifle would be the Z5. Only 15.9 ounces, put it in Talley one piece mounts and you will have a nice rig. Ballistic turret is also a good feature.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:33 AM
Bronze Member

I use a Leupold VX6 3-18 and love it. Works great for my elk hunts! +1 on the Talley one piece rings
Old 06-10-2014, 11:22 AM
Gold Member

Right now my first choice would be the VX6 3-18x50 side focus CDS. Scope is right at 20 oz, which is not as light as a Swarovski, but still on the lighter side compared to other high-end optics. And fully agree that the lightweight Talley rings/bases are the most sturdy way to mount a lightweight hunting rig.

The problem I have with the Swarovski (along with the huge $$$), is that the turrets are not in MOA. I have not spent much time with them, but I simply like MOA. I'm sure a guy could adjust to anything though, and the quality and light-weight of the Swarovski might very well be worth it if you can part with the $$$.

I did contact Leupold a few weeks ago and asked them if they had any plans to include their new TS-32X1 MOA reticle in their VX6 line. They said right now the VX6 is too new, and it would take them about a year to get that reticle into the VX6 glass.

For a dedicated hunting rifle, I like the idea of zeroing your rifle and then never touching the turrets... Just holding your shot to the appropriate MOA within the reticle. Then you don't need turrets, zero stop, or worrying where your turrets might have gotten moved to. Everything stays at zero and you still figure out longer shots through MOA, and then hold accordingly. Here's a pic of the new leupold reticle in case you're interested. This is an approach I am strongly considering for future hunts.

And another option to consider, is going with a 4.5-14 x 50mm VX3, and having the custom shop put in this reticle up front. You can do that right now, and that scope only weighs 17 oz. I think that would work great on a dedicated elk/deer rifle for long range shots. Also less $$ than the VX6, and in my opinion, still very good glass.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
scope to compliment a NULA 300 Win Mag-leupold.ts-32x1.reticle.jpg  
Old 06-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Silver Member

I am going thru the same process...I have it mostly narrowed down to the VX6 3x18x44 or x50 and the Z6 3x18x50.

Pros and cons to each.

Last edited by The Oregonian; 06-10-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

what about that new Nightforce that's about $1000!
Old 06-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
what about that new Nightforce that's about $1000!
the new NF SHV could be an option, but I think a little heavy at 28 oz when comparing to the options already discussed in this thread. So many factors to consider when building a light-weight specific rifle.

I am hoping that nightforce continues to develop more scopes within the SHV line, such as a 50mm objective, and a higher magnification offering, like maybe reaching up to 18 to 20x. Something like a 5-18x50mm that weighed 25 oz's or less would start to get my attention.