Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope Come ups and REPEATABILITY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Silver Member

Scope Come ups and REPEATABILITY

Guys I am hearing and reading alot about a scopes need for repeatability when dialing in your adjustments and then returning to the zero'd position. Whilst I understand the need for such precision I was wondering:

Are there scopes out there that are recognised as being excellent in this area and I need not worry? I own S&B and NF scopes are these ok?

As you know in the UK firearms ownership is tough and range time is even harder to find; for example my club pays out over $400+ for rental of a range for half a day (4 hours) and they are usually running comps during this so for me to complete ladder tests and scope tests just aint gonna happen in the near future.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

It is normally the comeups not the go downs. you might find that if you come up and stop at the exact spot the first shot will be off from where it should be. You then are tempted to add some more and then you find on the second shot you are way over.

What has happened in laymans terms is that the spring tension going up does not release like it should and the erector tube stops short of the correct spot with the reticle. You fire the shot and all of sudden the recoil jars the tension loose and the reticle moves to the clicks it should have been, but your shot was low so you add more clicks and are now over on the next shot. Now this normally does not happen every time which drives you crazy. Testing may or may not show it with one test.

There is a simple preventative measure that will stop with IF you suspect it or just want to prevent it. Go 5 clicks PAST your intended stopping point and then come back down to the intended stopping point. coming down puts tension on the movement and normally ensures that they reticle is stopped where it should be.

BH
Old 08-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Writers Guild

solutions

Not perfect but here are two ways to test your scope without going to the range.

You can use a boresighter set plumb to your reticle. Adjust the turrents and see how it tracks against the grid inside the boresighter.

Second, use a lazer bore sighter. Unit has a bore plug that you put into the muzzle with a laser pointer at the other end. You bore site by shining the laser on your wall. Shine the laser on a piece of lined paper and see how the reticle moves relative to your laser point. Grid paper would be ideal.

Clamp the rifle down so that it cannot move at all.

Not perfect but will show major tracking problems. Final test should be done with shooting.

Jerry
Old 08-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

get some graph paper with 1/4" squares on it set it up at 100 yrds and run the crosshairs around on it, checking for accuracy (vice the rifle) of movement, I use a 4x8 sheet of OSB (the ones marked in 16" icrements) at 500 yds.
RR
Old 08-25-2007, 12:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeskethPritchard View Post
I own S&B and NF scopes are these ok?
Never had NF but from reputation - They're fine. S&B are from reputation and personal experience exemplary. You're safe - fret ye not!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys
Old 08-31-2007, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

How about IORs specifically the 3-18X42. Are these repeatable???? and properly calibrated???

Thanks