Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope choice for my Lazzeroni

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: Scope choice for my Lazzeroni

Cat,

Your post needs to be framed.

How much wisdom and exhibit of common sense.

I love it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

LoadBaseŠ Desktop & Mobile editions - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com
Old 06-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
[Quote] by catshooter
"You can't shoot quality game with a computer" [ QUOTE ]

Now that's a no brainer. I beg to differ with your statement that it makes no difference and believe that it is important to know exactly how your scope adjusts.You can field verify all you want at sea leval and then go on a hunt in the rockies at 7500 foot of elevation and a ballistic program will give you the correction and if you know how your scope adjusts you will be on, without re-shooting at every diffewrent range to0 reverify...if you do not know how your scope adjusts then you will be of, if it adjusts in IPHY and you use MOA corrections..........

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT???

This is gibberish (and you need a spell checker!!).

First of all... please take the time to note that I stated "... there is baro to take into account, which does not come into play at 300 to 500yds. Plus "cant" and temperature, and... and... and... and...'

Baro IS altitude (I guess you missed that part).

And I mentioned the issue of "cant", cuz if you aren't dealing with cant, then you are not hitting anything in the field at 1,000... and I mentioned Temperature, and all the other "ands"...

So what is your problemo?

I said that the scope must be tested - that means that you find out if the scope is in moa, or 1/4" or .27345" or whatever.

Do you think you can call the scope company and talk to the pretty bimbo on the phone, and she can give you the information you need to make a shot at 1,000 yds. If you do, then you have been reading the ads in the gun magazines too much.

You gotta be kidding... Thousand yard shooting is NOT the accumulation of equipment!

You cannot buy a scope, zero a rifle, and then ask a computer to tell you what to do, whether the scope is in moa (or close) or in 1/4" (or close).

Most medium priced scopes are NEITHER... but are close approximations.

YOU must test it.

As to him shooting at 7500 feet altitude... gimme a break, he isn't ready for that yet... he hasn't mastered dialing in his scope.

You gotta walk before you run.

LRH member #23
Old 06-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

So it's all bold now.. Your attitude leaves a lot to be desired, in your first post you stated that it didn't matter and now come back as if I am an Idiot. My first post was techincly correct and you take an atitude..I know what my scope adjusts in and I thought it important for others to know as well......Back to you GOD
Old 06-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
So it's all bold now.. Your attitude leaves a lot to be desired, in your first post you stated that it didn't matter and now come back as if I am an Idiot. My first post was techincly correct and you take an atitude..I know what my scope adjusts in and I thought it important for others to know as well......Back to you GOD

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed something.

It is pointless to discuss the minutia of turret adjustments, when none of the basics have been taken care of.

You don't point out the techniques of high speed cornering to someone that just got their drivers license. You just waste their time and confuse them.

What you said was correct... I didn't talk to you like an idiot... but the remarks did not fit the question.

Further... no matter what the spacing of the divisions of the "clicks" is, it is not enough to take someone word for it at the company, when you have the time and cost of a big game trip at stake.

Anyone needs to check out their rifle, at long range, and know what the actual come-ups are. This can not be gotten from ANY computer software.

If you feel like an idiot, there's nothing I can do about that!

LRH member #23
Old 06-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

I would take it that many read these thread and look for information..Just because the person that asked the orignal question may or may not be able to absorb the added info, doesn't mean that someone else can not and may also be looking for answers... At least that's my take on it...

Trust me I do not feel like an idiot,but I do not take to being talked down to either...........
Old 06-18-2007, 09:58 PM

First of all, I appreciate your reply. But I did not say I would be taking a wild poke at an elk at 1000yds as soon as I can bolt on a different scope. I have been shooting for many years, reloaded, chronographed and tested my loads for 10 years now. I understand the need for practice and tuning to pull off a shot like that. I know where my scope is set, what yardage I am zeroed at and what adjustments are needed for the yardage I am comfortable with -- I have killed every elk with one round for the past 10 years. So please cut out the rookie "which end of the gun do I shoot out of" Comments.

I understand and acknowledge I am not ready for shots over 500 yards yet and was just asking for some advice on setup. You do have to admit even though you call it a dumb question, that if your scope has the standard 1/4 moa clicks that takes a penny to dial and you are trying to adjust from a 100 yrd shot to a 1000 yrd shot, it would be easy to lose your place in the adjustment.

Thanks for the thoughts on setup, I will look into them.

By the way, my hunting is done at 12000 ft. and I do understand baro and a large part of those and, and, ands.