Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope almost out of adjustment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 01:04 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
..Most scopes I have set up have not needed more than 3MOA (12 clicks) of correction.
That would be about right for a custom rifle with a trues action. However, I often find that factory rifles have the barrel installed crooked in the receiver, or the screw holes are drilled crooked Misalignment between the rings and bore of 8-20 moa are quite common.

This is likely the case with the OP's rifle.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 05-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Scope almost out of adjustment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
That would be about right for a custom rifle with a trues action. However, I often find that factory rifles have the barrel installed crooked in the receiver, or the screw holes are drilled crooked Misalignment between the rings and bore of 8-20 moa are quite common.

This is likely the case with the OP's rifle.
I would have hoped they would have noticed if the barrel was installed crooked or the mounting holes were drilled off center at the factory when they shot the test target. Anything is possible.

New rings are on the way and I sent the scope back to the manufacturer. Hopefully, when I assemble everything it will be fine.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschroed View Post
I would have hoped they would have noticed if the barrel was installed crooked or the mounting holes were drilled off center at the factory when they shot the test target. Anything is possible.
You might hope for to much. Factory rifles are mass produced, and it doesn't that much to get it out of square.

Custom rifles are built 1 at a time with ALOT more attention to detail.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Bronze Member

Well I received a new set of rings and I sent my scope in to have it checked. When the scope arrived I reinstalled the rings and scope and zeroed at 100 yards. With 100 yard zero I have 20 MOA available to dial up. Not as much as I'd like but it probably will work for my needs.

Thanks to those of you who replied.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Gold Member

I just traded for a 308 Savage rifle on this forum. When I got the rifle and was checking it out, I found that the pin which locates the recoil lug had not been properly installed and was too long and too skinny and actually projected from the recoil lug on the barrel side. The end of the pin was sharp, as if it had been sheared and that sharp edge was sticking out like a cutting tool... When the barrel nut was torqued down, the projection of the pin gouged a shaving out of the nut and as the nut advanced the chip got bigger and bigger. It finally reached a point where the person torquing the nut thought it was tight, but in fact it had just locked up on the chip.

Later, when the rifle was fired, the forces acting on the barrel must have loosened it up slightly and although the nut could not rotate, the barrel could rotate inside the nut. This must have caused a bunch of problems (changing headspace, barrel harmonics etc etc).

If I recall, you do not have a Savage, but if this had been a Remington with a barrel shoulder, the pin could have gouged a chip out of the barrel shoulder instead and something very similar could have occurred. This was just a lesson to me in how things can go wrong in ways you really might not expect. I just today got my new NSS precision barrel nut and recoil lug which has a small cap screw instead of a pin, the head of the cap screw engaging in the groove in the reciever. It all fits very snug and of course the cap screw can't move axially and cause this problem... Now I'm just waiting for the "go" gauge to re-set the head space, then I will be all set.