Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope adjustment question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-338 View Post
WS...I have the Sierra Infinity V ( I have not purchased the new version yet) but assuming there are no major changes, I think you are slightly confusing 2 issues...1) inches high under bullet path column at 100 yards and 2) elevation correction for a given range. As far as I can tell your math is good, but the software will do all this for you. You should have 10 columns on your calculated page , NOT 8...If you have 8 columns then go to the "Trajectory" column and click on "dual MOA" ...accept values and then calculate and you will end up with 3 separate columns relating to "Drop" they are "drop in inches" "bullet path in inches" and "bullet path in MOA". The two relevant columns are bullet path in inches and bullet path in MOA

The sequence is... you decide on your zero based upon what kind of hunting or shooting you anticipate doing. (The bullet path in inches will tell you how high the bullet is above POA at any intermediate range...also, play around with the PBR functions under the "Operations" column) Then sight your rifle in at this range using the "bullet drop in inches" column, noting how high the bullet is at 100 yards ( if you are sighting in at 100 yards) and get you rifle to group as closely as you can to this figure (i.e. "x" inches high at 100 yards). There is flexibility here e.g. One of my scopes has elevation correction of 1/2 MOA so sometimes I cannot get to the exact point due to 1/2 minute clicks...but the software can help with this also. You can enter various zeros in the "Zero Range" box and fine tune your chart, ending up with a very close correspondence to the inches high at 100 in the bullet path column and your group on the target. I sometimes end up with zeros of 227 yards or 243 yards or whatever and it makes no diference if you end up with an odd number for your zero.

Then print your chart making sure you have 10 columns . You will then be able to look at a distance to target...and move your finger over to the bullet drop in MOA column ...dial the necessary correction and shoot.

All the other members have given excellent advice...you absolutely must chrono loads, and HoytemanPA has given a very cool way of seeing exactly what your scope does with each click...thanks Shummy! That helped me!

And you are right, this is a starting point. But you can fine tune in the real world. But the software is, in many cases remarkably accurate, and helps save time. Good Shootin' 30-338
Great advice thanks.

ws

Old 02-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Swatter View Post

What is the difference between 1/4" adjustment and 1/4 MOA adjustment? The MOA adjustments are confusing, where can I read up on these adjustments? MOA language is foreign to me, (If it adjusts in MOA the number calculated gets divided by 1.0472), what number gets calculated?

ws
i'm new to this whole thing as well. but from what i have read so far, some scopes have different definitions of MOA. some ppl use 1" @ 100 yds for MOA. but the precise definition for MOA is 1.0472" @ 100 yds. doesn't seem like much when your shooting at 100 yds. but at greater distances it could mean a kill or no kill. there is some good reads on this site about MOA. i just read them yesterday, but i don't remember where they are. i'll look for them in a min. hyotemanPA was trying to say that if your told that you will be, lets say, 14.3 in. high at 100 yds to shoot dead on at 600., you need to adjust your scope down 'X' number of clicks. but you need to know if your scope is adjusted for true MOA or 1" @ 100yds or some other random factor. than divide the 14.3 by MOA (1.0472) or 1" or the other random factor. that will tell you how many clicks to adjust your scope. the numbers i picked were completely random FYI.
hope that is all accurate and don't thank me if it is. the credit goes to hyotemanPA and this site for teaching me about it on my vacation days off work!