Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope for 500+ yards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I inspected the 3-12X42 and 5-20X50 Huskemaw scopes at the 2012 SHOT Show. The 3-12X had above average glare performance and below average off-axis chromatic aberration. On the whole, optical performance was average. The 5-20X had slightly below average performance in both glare and off-axis chroma. I would recommend this model for target shooting at a range, but not for big game hunting. The 3-12X model would be the better choice for deer hunting due to higher optical performance and brightness at dusk and dawn. I would not hesitate to use a 12X mag scope for PDs, yotes and deer.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 03-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope for 500+ yards

I have had a Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope with a Vortex Custom Turret for a couple of years now and can not see how you need to spend anymore for a more expensive scope. If you get a 4-16 power scope which is a fine scope, but if you need more power and don't have it OH WELL. I use 24 power a lot especially when I want to hit a small target which could be a prairie dog or to put a bullet behind a deers ear at 200 yds. if it is all you can see of a once in a life time trophy.

Below is a picture of a 1,000 yd. target that I shot with my 6-24x50 PST FFP MOA scope. Three 5 shot groups which every shot would have hit the boiler room of an antelope from my hunting rifle.

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Field test: Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

PS: Here is a list of PST scopes, but you can buy them from many retailers:

SWFA Vortex Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scopes
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Scope for 500+ yards-1000-yd.-target.jpg  
Old 03-14-2012, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
I inspected the 3-12X42 and 5-20X50 Huskemaw scopes at the 2012 SHOT Show. The 3-12X had above average glare performance and below average off-axis chromatic aberration. On the whole, optical performance was average. The 5-20X had slightly below average performance in both glare and off-axis chroma. I would recommend this model for target shooting at a range, but not for big game hunting. The 3-12X model would be the better choice for deer hunting due to higher optical performance and brightness at dusk and dawn. I would not hesitate to use a 12X mag scope for PDs, yotes and deer.
I recall from prior posts that you have several years of professional experience designing optics for military applications, and have developed tests that enable you to to assess scopes for various characteristics, even when in enclosed environments like the Shot Show floor. Given that, I would be very interested in your opinion of what the best commercially available scope is for 1000 yard big game hunting, considering all factors. More importantly which scope you use for LR big game hunting. Also, I have three scopes that I use for 90% of my LR hunting

Leupold MK4 8.5 x 25, Mildot
Nightforce NXS 5.5x22, NPR2
Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5x20

How would you access these scopes, applying your tests? I have developed my own
preference over the years, but would be very interested in your viewpoint. Thanks.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
...I would be very interested in your opinion of what the best commercially available scope is for 1000 yard big game hunting, considering all factors. More importantly which scope you use for LR big game hunting. Also, I have three scopes that I use for 90% of my LR hunting

Leupold MK4 8.5 x 25, Mildot
Nightforce NXS 5.5x22, NPR2
Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5x20

How would you access these scopes, applying your tests? I have developed my own
preference over the years, but would be very interested in your viewpoint. Thanks.
Best scope? Personal preference for features is too big a factor to assert one as the best. For big game hunting, I rank optical performance high in priority. That said, I haven't seen a Zeiss Diavari I didn't like.

I wouldn't call myself a long range hunter. 400 yds is a long shot for me. That's mainly because I hunt the coastal mountain range in California. It's very brushy terrain and the mountains are simply smaller than the Seirras or Rockies. Most of my long range shooting has been for work at 600-1,000 yds. For reasons I can't say, I'm limited to using a Horus reticle. Currently I'm using a US Optics scope.

I'm on travel today and my notes are at home. You listed three different reticles, and one scope has a BDC turret. Personal preference for reticle and elevation adjustment would be a big factor. Frankly, I'm not a fan of BDC turrets.

I don't recall having evaluated the Leupold MK4 8.5 x 25. It would not be my first choice due to the high (25X) mag ratio. Glare performance at all magnifications gets worse as the magnification range increases. Glare performance is important because glare limits image contrast. Also, I prefer a lower mag than 8.5X on the low end. Otherwise, I like MK4 scopes and spotters.

I don't have a good sense of the Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 scope because the room lighting was poor above that booth at 2012 Shot. At previous shows I found the Nightforce optical performance to be average to above average for that price point.

I already commented on the Huskemaw 5-20. Optically, it's not in the the same league as either the Leupold or Nightforce. So there you have it. I guess my preference is for the Nightforce NXS 5.5x22, although it is heavy IIRC.

Which one do you prefer?

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
You lost some of us ! Could you explain "off axis chromatic aberration" and "glare performance"? Don't really know how you could pick up a scope inside a building and come up with these conclusions. Good enough for target but not for hunting?Most of the target guys I shoot with might think the opposite! I would put either of these scopes up against the best in target or hunting, low light or bright glaring light. I've shot in all these conditions and haven't been disapointed yet! If you ever get the chance, look through one side by side on the range with any other scope, that is the only fair way to judge their respective abilities!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Best scope? Personal preference for features is too big a factor to assert one as the best. For big game hunting, I rank optical performance high in priority. That said, I haven't seen a Zeiss Diavari I didn't like.

I wouldn't call myself a long range hunter. 400 yds is a long shot for me. That's mainly because I hunt the coastal mountain range in California. It's very brushy terrain and the mountains are simply smaller than the Seirras or Rockies. Most of my long range shooting has been for work at 600-1,000 yds. For reasons I can't say, I'm limited to using a Horus reticle. Currently I'm using a US Optics scope.

I'm on travel today and my notes are at home. You listed three different reticles, and one scope has a BDC turret. Personal preference for reticle and elevation adjustment would be a big factor. Frankly, I'm not a fan of BDC turrets.

I don't recall having evaluated the Leupold MK4 8.5 x 25. It would not be my first choice due to the high (25X) mag ratio. Glare performance at all magnifications gets worse as the magnification range increases. Glare performance is impoYrtant because glare limits image contrast. Also, I prefer a lower mag than 8.5X on the low end. Otherwise, I like MK4 scopes and spotters.

I don't have a good sense of the Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 scope because the room lighting was poor above that booth at 2012 Shot. At previous shows I found the Nightforce optical performance to be average to above average for that price point.

I already commented on the Huskemaw 5-20. Optically, it's not in the the same league as either the Leupold or Nightforce. So there you have it. I guess my preference is for the Nightforce NXS 5.5x22, although it is heavy IIRC.

Which one do you prefer?
While I believe they are all excellent scopes, I have now installed the Huskemaw 5x20 on my LR rigs. The 5x low power is good for the close shots. I have not seen optical differences in low light , mirage, or strong sunlight between the three brands. Since I do hunt 500-1000 yards, I have a strong preference for turrets. When I hunted at the distances you hunt, I favored a ballistic reticle. It's just my preference, but I do believe the Huskemaw's size, weight, reticle design, and turret reproducibility provides the best balance of capabilities. On a more subjective note, all of my best long range kills have been made with the Huskemaw. I am very confident with this scope and that success is a big factor.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 03-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Silver Member

I have to agree with Greyfox! That said, it is not that Huskemaw is a better scope, I don't claim it to be better. What makes Huskemaw stand out from the rest is the method of setting up the turret. When done correctly, it is the most accurate system available for the average hunter. Dial, dope the wind, shoot! There are a lot of shooters out there that have shot their data and are just as accurate. Truth of the matter is, you cannot use a generic BC and velocity and even come close to comparing to a correctly calculated Huskemaw turret. There are people and companies out there who have stolen the patented process because it is so good. until you shoot with it, you will never understand!