Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope for .50 Cal.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope for .50 Cal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
Yes, do not get me wrong as I am just kidding around. Leupolds all good, kinda spendy for what they are in such a competitive market but all good.

No apoligies nessary!!!

I like a little humor with the post It keeps it friendly and interesting.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Bronze Member

It looks like he has decided on the Nightforce ATACR. I'll let you know what we think and how the .50 cal. shoots.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath74 View Post
Ok so my Bro. in-law bought a .50 cal. Barrett. He is trying to decide on a scope for it. He has looked at NightForce. I told him I would ask on here what some of you might suggest. He wants a scope that is going to stand up to the abuse of the recoil from that rifle and is fine with spending what ever it costs. However I would say his cap would be in the $2,500 range. So please make some suggestions so we can do some research.

Thanks,
Take a look at millett LRS-1 6-25X56 LRS 35mm tube you car find them under $500 and will hold up to the 50
Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Bronze Member

Personal experince talking here. The nightforce is a great scope for the .50. The leupold is also but after having a rear objective lens fall out of one of my leupolds it just left a bad feeling towards them. That being said leupolds customer service is outstanding and the stamd firm by there product. But still that lingering thought of it broke once it might break again. So I would go with the NF for the 700 grain horse pill spitter and enjoy every filling rattling squeeze of the trigger. The first time I touched a round off on the barrett m99 I shot it felt like I had the flu for a few seconds and the recoil is not bad justba hard push. The muzzle blast however is what shakes you to the core. Happy shooting to your brotherinlaw and yourself.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter1000 View Post
Personal experince talking here. The nightforce is a great scope for the .50. The leupold is also but after having a rear objective lens fall out of one of my leupolds it just left a bad feeling towards them. That being said leupolds customer service is outstanding and the stamd firm by there product. But still that lingering thought of it broke once it might break again. So I would go with the NF for the 700 grain horse pill spitter and enjoy every filling rattling squeeze of the trigger. The first time I touched a round off on the barrett m99 I shot it felt like I had the flu for a few seconds and the recoil is not bad justba hard push. The muzzle blast however is what shakes you to the core. Happy shooting to your brotherinlaw and yourself.

Interesting that the 50s muzzle blast rocked your world. It has that effect 0n everyone that tries
to shoot it without the protection of ear plugs and ear muffs.

A while back I set out to design a break that would eliminate that issue and as it turns out recoil
velocity was greatly reduced along with the signature(Muzzle Blast).

I am still doing some testing but I also started production and hopefully they will be available
soon.

The reason I am mentioning the brake is with reduced recoil velocity It should make it easer
on scopes and the shooter.

If you are interested in looking do a search for Prototype muzzle break and there is a link to
You Tube where you can see that with the new break the 50 shoots and sounds like a hunting rifle
and requires only ear plugs.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

Has he checked out Premier Reticles?

The 5-25x56 is right at home on a 50bmg. I have one on a DTA HTI and it has held up it's end.

Here's a write-up that will tell you all about them.
Primal Rights • Primal Rights -- Premier Reticles - Tactical & Light Tactical

If you or he has any questions, give me a call anytime!