Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which scope for a 460 XVR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

Re: Which scope for a 460 XVR?

They are kickers that's why a handgun scope might serve you better. They have a lot more eye relief, plus you can still get pretty close to the reticle if you choose.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Silver Member

I'm not a handgun shooter (laws are quite restrictive here), but I've watched a bunch of videos of guys firing those .460's and they do recoil.

Remember that with a good rifle scope you get 4 or 4.5 inches of eye relief TOPS.
Anybody feel like holding your .460 four inches from your eye and touching one off?

You thought scope bite on a RIFLE was bad...
Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

That's the point I'm making. You either learn to shoot it with open sights and accept the distance limitation or scope it with a scout scope or dimpling. If you want more distance than a Thompson or specialty pistol is the way to go. O looked through a Leupold 4x scout scope and that seemed pretty good. Also dimpling had a hunter series red dot and I think the dot is 2moa in size. Blocking at these options.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskShooter View Post
I'm not a handgun shooter (laws are quite restrictive here), but I've watched a bunch of videos of guys firing those .460's and they do recoil.

Remember that with a good rifle scope you get 4 or 4.5 inches of eye relief TOPS.
Anybody feel like holding your .460 four inches from your eye and touching one off?

You thought scope bite on a RIFLE was bad...

I've watched a bunch of videos, too. I haven't seen anybody hit with the gun in any of them. I finally decided I was going to quit watching videos and actually do it for myself and I found that while it does pack a good punch I don't think it will come any closer to hitting me than my 338 lapua ackley improved will. If it does I will take a picture of my eye and post it here but until then I'm going to go with a low magnification rifle scope. Thank you for your opinion.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

what are you shooting out of it, factory or reloads. have same pistol use a 1.5x4 leapold on mine. also shoot a dan wesson 445 supermag. it is alot more fun.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure why i wrote dimpling? I guess I was typing from my iphone and not proofreading. I meant Aimpoint red dot or Aimpoint Hunter series red dot. They have a 2 moa dot and huge eye relief like a scout scope. Let me know how you make out and take a video if you can?. I am curious to see how you hold it and what scope looks like it works the best for mine too.

Last edited by etisll40; 02-06-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.SWIFT View Post
what are you shooting out of it, factory or reloads. have same pistol use a 1.5x4 leapold on mine. also shoot a dan wesson 445 supermag. it is alot more fun.

Right now I'm just shooting factory loads. Waiting to see what accuracy is before I decide to buy dies, powder, etc. 200 gr hornady ftx.