Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

which scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Re: which scope?

"Lerch you make a good point about buying a scope and then taking it off in 6 months time and not using it, seems a bit of a waste really."

thanks NZP

when im talking about that its from experince buddy. when i started out in this LR game I had a VXII 6-18 leup, it worked good but i knew i needed more, so i sold it for about $200 less than it cost me. So i got a VXIII 4.5-14 leup with the BC reticle but i needed something finer for precision stuff, and i sold it for $100 or $200 less than it cost me. I bought a Zeiss scope and wanted more so i sold it for a little less than it cost me, then a great dot reticle Vari X III 4.5-14 ( that i still miss) and i sold it for a little less than it cost me to get my first NF. That one i havent sold and i still think back at how much money i lost at the whole deal when you add it all up.

Now selling all of this stuff i am in a position to buy it cheaper than most and learning what i have i just wanna pass it on.

If you bite the bullet once, you only bite it once. dont bite it a half dozen times along the road ;)

if you buy a scope as a temp replacment make sure you have a place for it.

have a good un
Steve Elmenhorst
Third Generation Shooting Supply
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST

Unread 10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Bronze Member

If you are looking for a good scope for long range shooting without having to mortage your home, try a BSA Platium Target scope in either 6-24 or 8-32. Now before you turn up your nose, the clarity is good and it comes with target turrets and sunshades. I put one on my 6.5-06 ackley that I built for 1000 yard shooting. It was good enough for me to take first place in the only santioned 1000 yrd. match I entered. I also put one on my wildcat 375/300, (slightly more powerful than a 375H&H), and it has held up fine after hundreds of rounds. The only problem it seems to have is that it is a little dark at extreme ranges at extreme power.
Unread 10-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

That is quit impressive for a BSA. I have a BSA 8-32x44mm Platinum 1/8moa adjustments total travel is 39moa. That is not a lot of moa and I would think I would need a steep base like a 40moa base to get to 1k. The turrets are positive but not very strong, the tube housing is ok, the glass in them is subpar but will do the job, the OBJ is a little cheaper feeling, but for what they cost you really canít complain. BSA is not a scope that I would trust for the most part. I had the BSA on 223 now it is on a 10/22.

Mike @ CSGW
Unread 10-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Bronze Member

Gunworks is correct. I had the rear of the scope shimmed. I can still work at 100 yards but I have taken shoots out to 1500yrds. At 1500 I was all but out of adjustment. While it is true that the features are not top notch it serves me well and it did not break my wallet at $120.00 2 years age. As my gun smith, Wendell Simpson, put it, it is not how much you spend, it is how you spend it.