Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

which scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Bronze Member

which scope?

I am having a rifle built up at the moment after the success i had with my first semi custom. this rifle is built off a trued M700 short action, a 30" lilja barrel, #8 contour and a 1-8twist. it'll be sitting in a mcmillan A5 stock.

All thats missing is the scope and I would like a nightforce but probably wont get one for another year, possibly less than that.

looking to put something cheaper on in the mean time with a decent power and decent tracking.

I know its not a great scope, but i have a 6-20x40 grand slam that came off a 223 i had.

any suggestions?

oh the rifle will be used for varminting and eventually F-class
Old 10-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Silver Member

Re: which scope?

Sounds like a nice rig you got going there.

The Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 is an excellent scope for the money. Great glass, reticle, and tracking. Available in a target dot model too.

Sightron is another good make/value. I don't sell them, but they are nice.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:50 AM
SPONSOR

The nikon buckmaster scopes are a really nice line for a little under the $300.00 mark.

the only problem with buying a scope like this now and knowing you are gonna replace it with something else is that unless you have something else you know you are gonna do with that original scope you are kinda just dumping money on it. now if you are gonna use it for a hunting rifle scope or something else then all is good.

if you arent gonna have anything to use it on then i would say just save up and take the plunge on the NF, otherwise you are in a sense just spending more money on the NF in the long run. trust me i did the same thing on leup's and zeiss's before i broke down and bought the NF. of all the NF's i have sold i have never had a complaint about them

have a good un
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 10-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

If your are look for exposed turrets I would recommend looking at Bushnell they will not get you out to 1k but they will get you out to about 700 to 800yds.

Scott has really spoken highly of the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 that maybe a really good way to go. I trust Scott opinion not to say Steve does not I just do not know Steve were I know Scott really well. Steve Iím not a big Nikon fan. I do not like there body housing.

Another scope you my what to look at would be the Leupold MK4 4.5-14x40mm with the Mil-Dot reticle.

Nightforce are great scopes!

Mike @ CSGW

Last edited by CS T; 10-07-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:07 PM
SPONSOR

well after 4yrs of postiing helpful info and learning and growing with everyone on the board here i would hope i would have proven my trust to the other board members

last year me and Bill sold just over 350 nikon scopes and i can safely say that i do not remember recieving one back. now i did not recieve any of my bushnell scopes back either if i remember correctly.

my main point of the Nikon scopes is that i think you get a better scope for your money over alot of other brands. In my experince if you take say a $250 Nikon scope and comare it to a $250 Bushnell, Leup, whatever from what i have seen you are getting more scope for your money with the Nikon. once you get to about the $400-$500 mark i think you are better off going with the Leup VXIII line

just my opinion from what i have personally seen.

have a good un
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Bronze Member

I dont think i can get vortex scopes down here in New Zealand, and there is a bit of paper work to import a scope but might have to look into it.
isnt exactly a huge selection here either. I think swift have been getting a good name here but have never used one befor, anyone know anything about them?

Lerch you make a good point about buying a scope and then taking it off in 6 months time and not using it, seems a bit of a waste really.

by the way its going to be a 6X47 Lapua.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:56 PM
SPONSOR

A VX-3 6.5-20 or 8.5-25 or an S-3 Sightron 6-24