Scope for .243 under $400?
I am purchasing a Savage Model 11 in .243 as my carrying rifle/varmint gun. Here in NE pa, long shots are rare, with shots at deer and coyotes at less than 100 the standard. But, I want a light rifle capable of taking a clean shot at a deer up to MAYBE 400 yards (rifle will need some tinkering).
Now I need a scope. I do not want to spend a lot. I am sure with all of the advances in scope technology, there is something suitable to my needs.
Here are my desires:
- low end power between 2-3
- high end between 9-12
- good glass
- adjustable turrets, either capped or exposed, short or tall.
- mil/mil or moa/moa preferred. I hate plex reticles.
- 1" or 30mm tube (I prefer 30mm, but not too picky here).
- needs to be reliable, repeatable, accurate, and take some abuse. It's rough country out here.
Anything you can do to help, I appreciate it.
I've been looking at NikOn Monarchs, Weaver super and Grand Slam, and Vortex Vipers. Not sure what to buy!!!!!!
If you can suggest rings and bases too, you'd be my heros!