Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Schmidt and Bender vs. Nightforce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

Another vote for NXS.
Absolutely nothing wrong with them.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:57 AM
SPONSOR

I have on loan one of the 5-25 S&B's (wow) 34 mm tube. I will cry (a little bit maybe;)) when it comes time to send it off.
I have yet to compare it with NF's at the same power.
When NF's FFP comes out it will be an interesting comparison.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

As an alternative ---- look at the USO stuff... I have 4 SB PMII's and the same number of USO's and IMHO the USO's are the better of the two but it is so close that given what the Euro is doing the S&B is just too expensive compared to the USO. The dollar falling has really made buying Euro Glass a challenge..
Old 04-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Bronze Member

Scopes

i'm new to this site,but i've owned the best scopes money can buy and i believe that the S&B scopes are hands down the best money can buy.i currently use NF NSX and S&B scopes.in terms of price and variety the NSX scopes are best.but when it comes to optics clarity,the S&B are the best.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:35 PM

come on now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide View Post
Ummmmm Wildcat. How does a scope like the NXS NF qualify for buy American when is says Made in Japan on the bottom of scope:eek:. I have one and it is nice scope. I also have Leupolds and S & B's. They are all good quality scopes but I think the Leupold is the only one made in the good ole USA.
LOL the tube body and the glass are the only things made in Japan, they do all the hand fitting and such in Idaho. You cant really compare them to a mass produces piece like loopys, well i guess some can. I have several and i love them. I ran a short dot for a while: "gift" and i sold it and bought a 1x4 for my carbine. But loopy american made.... what or how is it all the parts are made in timbuck, who knows. they dump all the pieces in a machine and push start. Now the old loopys i wouldent sell mine for anything. Corprate loopy= High end Tasco. Take a flashlight and look inside any loopy:eek:
Old 04-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie01 View Post
LOL the tube body and the glass are the only things made in Japan, they do all the hand fitting and such in Idaho. You cant really compare them to a mass produces piece like loopys, well i guess some can. I have several and i love them. I ran a short dot for a while: "gift" and i sold it and bought a 1x4 for my carbine. But loopy american made.... what or how is it all the parts are made in timbuck, who knows. they dump all the pieces in a machine and push start. Now the old loopys i wouldent sell mine for anything. Corprate loopy= High end Tasco. Take a flashlight and look inside any loopy:eek:
Sparkie,
I have a 416 Barrett that had a NF 8-32x56 NXS Mounted on it. Key word here is "HAD". On the 15th shot out of my Barrett the front lense on the scope shattered. Must have been a bad day in Japan when the glass was made or a worse day in Idaho when quality control allowed this sub standard piece of glass to be installed on the scope. Either way it failed after a short period in service. I replaced the NF with a Mark 4 8.5-25x50
and 200 rounds later it is still running strong, push started or not. Can dial in a long shot go back to zero and it is still dead on.

I am not here to bash any scope. I use Nightforce, Leupold, and Schmidt & Bender. All 3 are excellent scopes and each scope has its place. All I know is the NF's place was not on top of my 416. Have had no problem with them on other rifles.

Time for the flashlight test (I will use a mini mag here)

Leupold first: Nice scope, well built, Nice

Schmidt & Bender: Wow!!! Great scope, Great quality.

Nightforce: Oh ****!!! Dropped the minimag down the tube. Ok got it out.
nice, well built, all except for that front piece of glass.

Tasco: Hmmmm??? Dont have one to check and never will.

BTW you missed Sparkie better check your elevation.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:04 PM

yea...

Well you are a truely amazing Guy then,
Niightforce has been used on everything from a 218 bee on up to some crazy guy using one on a 12.5 russian. Now a key thing to your ranting is why did'nt you post pics up of this amazing catrostrophic failure? since it would be the absolute first in the Know existance of that company. Cause from doing a large search through almost every website doing reviews there is nothing remotely close. Second " a multi lens objective shattering like that ....... "Hey Turbo it doesent happen that way" But you can go bust it out now with a pick or somthing to prove a point. I love my short Dot on my carbine but the thing was i sold it and bought a NF and a range finder. Sb are great scopes. the price for what you get not so much, just like IOR. Now old loopys they were great pieces, But im sure you know this Loopy is now a Corperation. and it seems alot of their QC has went down hill but hey you and your BIG HUGE 416 Broke what a anti aircraft gun coudent. You should write a book. So back to this thread SB vrs NF opticaly i would say even. price way off. so why spend an additional grand for somthing just as good.light bulb