Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Schmidt & Bender PMI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: Schmidt & Bender PMI

Pete ,
Thats good my 6.4mm is correct then.
The PMII is paralax version no illuminator.
So if the AW turns up and has the standard dove tail ,what ever size that is , can you bolt on a picatinny rail or are you stuck with the dove tail ?
Did you get my email about the cam ?
Cheers
Jeza
Old 03-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Gold Member

I got the email and replied. The AI sniper rifles are available on request with a picatinny rail. get on the blower and order it with one. if its too late then badger Ordnance make one. It needs the reciever drilling and tapping.. its an easy job. I just fitted a badger picatinny rail designed for the AI to a Sako .22.
Let me know if you need a badger rail ok.
Pete
Old 03-12-2005, 02:49 AM
Gold Member

Jeza,

Good news on the AW!

The AI mount seems to be about the one thing I disagree with Pete on -but then I am not removing and replacing my scope frequently (at all).
If you are anticipating removing/replacing the scope frequently then Pete's advice is correct -you couldn't sensibly expect repeatability with al alloy; if you will want to swap the scope to other rifles, then picatinny etc would be your only sensible option.
If, however, you're going to leave the scope on; I find the AI mount absolutely fine -it's pre-canted and, in the world of AI prices, surprisingly cheap. It's also 'Issue' [Pete you can trump the 'issue' argument by posting the 338 pic I sent (minus details) I would do so to take the piss out of my own argument, but haven't got the pic on my home computer]

I understand where Pete's coming from on this, but it works for me -and I drag my AW on the ground with just a scope and muzzle cover.
Good price on the S&B, can't go wrong with a 30 year warranty, I did cartwheels when I got my 4-16 for £775.

Alg,

Never handled a nightforce (made in Japan aren't they? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], so can't comment on their weight.; but if weight is a concern, the 4-16 PM2 is not the scope for you. It's big and heavy enough to use as a riot baton (but then, it's also strong enough to take it! unlike, I suspect, the Tasco -sorry, I mean Nightforce [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

Pete,

Good pic, must be the value of a small car on and around that gat -has your wife been fully briefed?! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Gold Member

Brown Dog, the wife drives a VW golf that i paid 100 euros for. onmy sons first driving lesson in my pajero (he was 11 then) he backed into it, the wind is still dented. so don't tell her about all my gadgets.. !! ha ha..
Ref the AI rings,, remember ive had a lot to do with a lot of scope rings,, not just one set, ive seen em bend, break, the works, not a patch on a picrail and a set of badger rings.
Pete
Old 03-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for your opinions.

I dont mean to go on about it (but im going to!) whats the difference between picatinny rail and weaver system ,they look similar ie location rod across mount?

What is more common ?

I like the idea of , easy changing scopes /night vision (theres another question for later!)/already have weaver on another rife.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Gold Member

Now that we talk about mounts, have you ever tried Talley?
They have worked well for me in the past.

As for the PMII, you say the reticle subtends more than in a leupold, is your reticle in the first or second plane? Does S B make both in the PM II line?
Old 03-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Gold Member

Yesivetreid Tally, they are an ok mount for a normal hunting scope. I far prefer a picatinny rail and over engineered mounts like the badger rings, they are bulletproof.
the difference between the weaver and the picatinny isn't much. the picatinny is mil spech, cross slot spacing is the same on all the 1 piece pic rails.the weaver rings usualy fit the picrail but not visa-versa.
The PMII's are all 1st focalplain.. i wouldn't want any thing else, it means i can range with the reticle at any power setting and that there is no chance of zero wander throughout the power settings.. I'm more than happy with the thickness of the reticle for the intended tast of the scope, and that is killing 2 or 4 legged game. i have absolutely no doubt that the bullet goes exactly where i put the cross every time, its just that if you are in to shooting tiny groups at 100m or whatever, then a target reticle should be your choice and not a sniper reticle.
Pete