close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Reply

Schmidt & Bender Awarded the PSR Contract

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Unread 06-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,927
Re: Schmidt & Bender Awarded the PSR Contract

There is no doubt that Schmidt & Bender are very good scopes but dont you think If the military
had a set of specs and requirements PLUS A MAX PRICE that a us builder could meet those
requirements "I DO".

If Leupold or Night force was given a 3,000 dollar per scope budget I know they could.

This sounds like another Beretta type deal to me.there were other pistols that passed and it
ended up there were promises to buy planes from us that they would have anyway if they
wanted the best. (I dont think they ever did buy any but it lined someones politicians pocket).

I would love to have a S & B scope but at twice the price and very little difference I will never own
or need one.

I just dont like our government spending tax payers money on things that are not made in America.

You don't see other country's rushing over hear to buy our products.

J E CUSTOM
__________________
"PRESS ON"
Reply With Quote
  •   #16  
    Unread 06-30-2011, 08:24 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: Harrisburg, PA
    Posts: 2,684
    Re: Schmidt & Bender Awarded the PSR Contract

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post

    I would love to have a S & B scope but at twice the price and very little difference I will never own
    or need one.

    J E CUSTOM
    Jerry~ They may be twice the price, but there is a big difference in optical quality.
    One just has to decide if that difference is worth the extra money. For what I do, it's worth it to me.
    Reply With Quote

      #17  
    Unread 06-30-2011, 09:34 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2007
    Location: Arkansas (Home of Record)
    Posts: 1,822
    Re: Schmidt & Bender Awarded the PSR Contract

    J E Custom,
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I am putting in a request for funding to get some F1 NXS scopes before our next deployment. Plus I bought a FFP Leupold to replace the antique I have issued (in case I have to use my own gear like I just had to do for the last couple months of training).

    And the only commodity other countries seem to be beating down our doors for is our soldiers!

    Last edited by Bravo 4; 06-30-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Yep
    Reply With Quote
      #18  
    Unread 06-30-2011, 10:00 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2011
    Location: Casper, Wyoming
    Posts: 70
    Re: Schmidt & Bender Awarded the PSR Contract

    Well Night Force is made in Japan and owned by an Australian company, so they aren't exactly American either.

    I am not an operator or a sniper, but I have spent my fair share of time in Afghanistan and Djbouti and I would take a Schmidt Bender over any American made product.

    They are good, but so is Hendsolt/Zeiss.

    Beretta USA maybe owned by Beretta International based in Italy, but that isn't any different than us giving contracts to Heckler & Koch or Fabrique National.

    It sucks when defense contracts go overseas regardless of where they are made, but at the end of the day you want the best for those that put their life at risk.

    I have also heard that US Optics warranty department gets a lot of work. I wasn't all that impressed with the US Optics scope I saw, but it was in comparison with a Hendsolt and Schmidt so it was hard to get past it.

    I have never been impressed with Nightforce, my understanding is that they are a Hakko like a lot of other remarked scopes in America. Nothing wrong with Hakko, just wish the bastards would mark their own name on everything they made. Instead of recoloring a turd. A turd painted gold is still a turd.
    Reply With Quote
      #19  
    Unread 06-30-2011, 10:10 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 1,845
    Re: Schmidt & Bender Awarded the PSR Contract

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
    There is no doubt that Schmidt & Bender are very good scopes but dont you think If the military
    had a set of specs and requirements PLUS A MAX PRICE that a us builder could meet those
    requirements "I DO".

    If Leupold or Night force was given a 3,000 dollar per scope budget I know they could.

    This sounds like another Beretta type deal to me.there were other pistols that passed and it
    ended up there were promises to buy planes from us that they would have anyway if they
    wanted the best. (I dont think they ever did buy any but it lined someones politicians pocket).

    I would love to have a S & B scope but at twice the price and very little difference I will never own
    or need one.

    I just dont like our government spending tax payers money on things that are not made in America.

    You don't see other country's rushing over hear to buy our products.

    J E CUSTOM
    Could be and I don't have the regulation in front of me (at home) that Loopy has an excessive amount of content built in China which is a violation. The scopes are not made here only assembled partially here so really USO is the only maker that qualifies. S&B uses content from countries that are allowed to furnish content against USG Prime Contracts so they are in compliance.
    __________________
    The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!
    Reply With Quote
      #20  
    Unread 07-01-2011, 07:30 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,927
    Re: Schmidt & Bender Awarded the PSR Contract

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joel Russo View Post
    Jerry~ They may be twice the price, but there is a big difference in optical quality.
    One just has to decide if that difference is worth the extra money. For what I do, it's worth it to me.
    Joel; I don't disagree with any of the comments by you and other posters.

    I just don't like the trend to go out of the country to buy products that could be made hear.

    We are becoming a consumer nation and we all know what happens when we no longer
    have the ability to produce . We are losing our technology and our dollars to country's that
    hate us just because someone wants to line there pockets at our expense.

    Our industry and enginuity to out produce everyone else has got us through some rough times
    and a lot of people have died to keep America what it is, And I just hate to see it taken away by
    our own government.

    It is the process, not the product that I have a problem with so I will continue to buy American
    every time I can, But the list is getting shorter.

    Sorry; I'm off my soap box now, Lets get back to shooting.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #21  
    Unread 07-01-2011, 07:46 AM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Location: Harrisburg, PA
    Posts: 2,684
    Re: Schmidt & Bender Awarded the PSR Contract

    Jerry~ I completely understand what you are saying, and I totally agree.
    My frustration comes from the fact that "we" can make the product, we just choose not to.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Schmidt & Bender Awarded the PSR Contract
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Schmidt&Bender dirtboy Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 0 08-21-2010 10:16 PM
    Schmidt Bender/USO shortshooter Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 7 07-01-2008 10:26 PM
    3 x 12 Schmidt & Bender SEAHAWK Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 4 10-15-2005 08:52 AM
    Schmidt & Bender PMI Gerald89 Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 47 04-02-2005 11:26 AM
    Schmidt & Bender PM II Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 2 10-07-2004 05:41 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC