Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Schmidt and Bender 4-16X50mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2003, 05:40 PM
Bronze Member

Schmidt and Bender 4-16X50mm

Anyone using this setup on a long range gun? Is it worth the money? Is it that much better than a Leupold Tactical? I would actually prefer a fine duplex over the mil-dot.

all thoughts appreciated.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:10 PM

Re: Schmidt and Bender 4-16X50mm

The S&B is the hands down winner for me. The mildot is fine. Its worth the extra money!!!
Old 04-19-2003, 02:04 PM

Matt,

I have been using a Schmidt & Bender 4 to 16 X 50 PM II with mil dot reticle for 5 deer seasons now. I can't wait till S&B comes out with the 6 to 24 X 50 PM III scope.

Don
Old 04-19-2003, 06:24 PM
Silver Member

Hello, Any of you guys ever compare a S&B to a Burris Black Diamond? I've never had the chance to look through a S&B so I can't say one way or the other. I do know they are a rather pricey item and can't see spending that much money on a scope when you can get a scope for half the money that will do the same thing. I know for tactical use the S&B looks just right on a sniper rifle and has all the bells and whistles for that type of shooting, but for Hunting I can't see using a scope like that. Give me some input on this subject. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Jay
Old 04-20-2003, 04:43 AM
Gold Member

Thought I might muddy the water a bit.
My new love, seems to be the Nikon glass.
Ive not gotten into the tactical stuff, but the "hunting" scopes are really first rate.
A guy named Frank on accuratereloading.com, optic forrums, has a new Nikon tacticle that he's fooling with, and so far he says its awsome.
And yes, he's comparing it to the big boys...Zeiss, Swaro, S&B...I think.....sakofan.....FWIW...I think in a few years we will see the Nikon name mentioned w/ the legends.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2003, 05:19 AM
Gold Member

Whoa...sorry Frank, I didnt know you hung out here as well...I didnt see your post above me.
I also came back to qualify my previous post.
Nikon is gaining, but they are not equal to or as good as S&B...Frank is right.....sakofan...I get a little excited about Nikon, thats all. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2003, 08:56 AM
Silver Member

Sakofan, Did my share of comparing scopes couple weeks ago, some being Zeiss, Kahles, Leupold and Burris, and far as clarity I couldn't tell which one was clearer then the next, the letters I was using for the test(billboard sign)all looked the same, clear as a bell. That is in part due to that fact that the coatings on todays scopes are really pretty much the same, four on both sides of the glass for every lens in the scope, thats what determines the grades of glass, coatings. Now If you look through a Nightforce and look through a similar Leupold on the same power or a Nikon, B&L, if one looks like it's not as clear as the rest then that one needs to have it's parralax adjusted either by you or maybe it needs factory tweaking, thats what I found the other week with 'one' of the Burris scopes I was comparing, and it was a Signature model too. The fullfield model I was comparing looked 10x better and looked as good as the europeon scopes and the Lupy. I just got a Burris 4-12 compact w/ballistic plex, adj. objective down to 7yds. and this scope is so ungodly clear I'm afraid to compare with my Signature models, but I wiil some day at the range. I guess i'm just saying the glass in todays scopes are pretty much the same from what I read(Scope school in American Hunter) and observed albiet not a scientific one. Just an observation. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Jay