Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Savage Scope Mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

Savage Scope Mounts

I have decided to go with the Vortex Viper PST in 6-24x50FFP MOA. (Now I have to find one in stock). Now I am needing advise on scope mounts and rings. This is for a Savage Model 16 with Accutrigger. I see alot are using the EGW rail but wondered if they get in the way while trying to unload. Mine is a blind mag. I usually use a two piece base. I would asume that I should get 20moa base as I want to shoot longer ranges. What about some rings too?
Old 12-23-2011, 12:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: Savage Scope Mounts

Keep your two piece if you like and use burris signature zee rings with inserts. That way the rail won't block your loading or unloading (really isn't that bad anyway) and you can use the inserts to get close to your 20MOA mark. Either way I'd look for the burris rings. Great stuff. You'll have to check your ring height. I can get away with lows with the PST but I'm on a 20MOA rail. I'm sure you'll need mediums if not highs if you stick to the original bases.
Romans 12:12
Old 12-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Bronze Member

I have 1pc bases on all my rifles,and don't have any problems loading or unloading them-all blind magazines. I have 3 Ken Farrell,1 Weaver,and 1 EGW rail on my rifles.
I also use Burris Signature Zee rings on all of my rifles.They're great rings.
Good luck finding some right now,No one has them in stock,and Burris is having some sort of mfg problem with making them from what I was told.

Medium height rings should work fine for you,and Burris doesn't offer the 30mm in Low.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

Are the one piece more reliable? I see that Nightforce makes some two piece with 20moa
Old 12-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

This is what I used and how it is mounted with pictures:

Vortex Viper PST mounted with pics. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph
Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
This is what I used and how it is mounted with pictures:

Vortex Viper PST mounted with pics. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

those look like warne tactical rings. I too ordered a vortex viper pst and I'm pretty set on getting the warne rings.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonpenfam View Post
those look like warne tactical rings. I too ordered a vortex viper pst and I'm pretty set on getting the warne rings.
They may look like Warne rings, but they are Burris Low Extreme Tactical rings which I say in my post with the pictures.

joseph