Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Santa, I need a better Rangefinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Santa, I need a better Rangefinder

Link to multi mount

Vanguard GB
Old 12-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Wonder about using a device like this (below links) to clamp to a tripod leg for a rangefinder when the tripod is already supporting your spotting scope?

Pedco UltraClamp Camera Mount at REI.com - mount

Pedco Ultramount Camera Mount at REI.com - clamp

Pedco Quick Release Head at REI.com - quick release

I bet Shawn uses the multi-mount because he's filming and spotting and needs something that can support more weight than a rangefinder?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

When I am prone I have found a couple sand bags to be more stable than a tripod. On my tripods when you push the button to range it will move. I hold the RF solid down on the bags , get it on target then push. This is the most stable method I have found.

Jeff
Old 12-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Bronze Member

The tripod suggestion is absolutely correct. You will almost always get two hundred more yards with a tripod. Military rangefinders are used on a tripod if at all possible. Handholding is a poor way to get an accurate reading.
Jerry
Old 01-01-2010, 04:34 AM
Gold Member

and I thought I was over gunned for coyotes!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:03 AM
Bronze Member

My experience has been somewhat different, however after my first Darrell Holland ART reticle, I have finally put my Leica away and don't even carry it with me in the field.

Being in South Texas, I shoot along senderos (firebreaks) that I try and make as straight as possible. This whole purpose is to maintain deer population in balance with what the habitat will support.

In varied weather conditions the Leica rangefinder normally wouldn't get me anything. I just went back to Sierra's ballistics software and set up the fundamentals and then with Excel I put in size of Javalinas, White-tailed Doe, yearling buck, mature and post mature buck sizes and with MOA, I have, what I feel, is better and more accurate than my rangefinder.

The cool aspect is the simplicity of setting up my shot; all hunting blinds are same make and model so the rifle is out the window and set up post haste. I get a bracket from its shoulder to bottom of chest. If there are other animals (eg Javalinas) in the area I will confirm with them. If I need to pull off a fairly quick shot, I have my drops associated with each animal, breath, pull, pop.

Extreemely humane kills at distances applicable to South Texas where some can get to 500-600 yards.

I thought about eBaying the rangefinder cuz I don't really have a use for it now but it still has its own spot in my gun safe. I occasionally get it out to confirm distances on the rifle range.

It is my second year now with this procedure and I haven't even had the desire to find/buy another rangefinder.

Cheers!

Wally