Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Santa, I need a better Rangefinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

Santa, I need a better Rangefinder

Well, I have spent the last two mornings set up slightly above a huge wheat field trying to bust an old dog yote that I have been seeing. This morning he and his girlfriend showed up. Picture a yellow wheat field with 8" of stubble and all one nice yellow / tan color. So here I am with the big dog at 1330 to 1380 and I could not get a range on him. 7 degrees, NO wind, my 338 Lapua on the bipod with a sold bag at the rear. Leica 1200 CRF would not range him. Swaro laser guide would only give me a number once in 10 hits. Dog was very small in the huge reticle. So I put the swaro on a sand bag and centeredt him in the circle. 1330, nothin, nothin nothin 1360, nothin 1335,nothin nothin 1380,nothin nothin 1340,nothin nothin 1410... Darn it!!!

So I plugged in 1360 in the pda exbal and dialed up. Adjusted out the paralex, waited for a broadside shot, Leveled, aimed for that little spot right behind the front shoulder center mass, preloaded the pod just a bit and lightly touched it off sending a 300 SMK with a beautiful vapro trail in his direction.....

OH Oh ohhhhhh looks good!! ?????? Whopp!!huge dust ball, looked like a bomb went off right over his back 3' behind him....

Guess he was at 1330 aarrrrrrrrhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be back there tomorrow hope he comes back.

So, what is the next step up in rangefinders? ... will spending $3k fix my problem???

I need to get educated on different units , reticle size and beam devergence. Or stick with bigger targets, or start hunting hillsides.

The Saga continues..

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 12-04-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: Santa, I need a better Rangefinder

Even the Leica Locator Plus, honest 4000 yd unit, won't handle that situation...and it costs several times more than 3K unless you are high enough to be shooting down into the ground around the target.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 12-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Even the Leica Locator Plus, honest 4000 yd unit, won't handle that situation...and it costs several times more than 3K unless you are high enough to be shooting down into the ground around the target.
So Len, Sounds like I am expecting too much ? Is there a better way to range over flat ground?

Thanks for your input.

Jeff
Old 12-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Bronze Member

I used a Russian Laser Rangefinder and I never saw a target it would not hit. It did not seem to matter what the surface was or the angle. I always got consistent readings. These rangefinders are still out there somewhere. Remember these are military rangefinders and they are not eye-safe. When a rangefinder is not eye-safe you can almost bet the farm they will work.
Jerry
Old 12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
o I put the swaro on a sand bag and centeredt him in the circle. 1330, nothin, nothin nothin 1360, nothin 1335,nothin nothin 1380,nothin nothin 1340,nothin nothin 1410... Darn it!!!
A $24 tripod mightl get done what you wanted to do. You cannot expect to hand hold a rangefinder at those distances. I normally carry two or three tripods when working at those distances. Santa is going to bring me one of those Vanguard multi heads that Shawn Carlock uses so I wont have to have a separate tripod for my spotting scope and rangefinder.

Something to try at least.

Last edited by Buffalobob; 12-04-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: If it is really flat the tripod might not help much.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
A $24 tripod mightl get done what you wanted to do. You cannot expect to hand hold a rangefinder at those distances. I normally carry two or three tripods when working at those distances. Santa is going to bring me one of those Vanguard multi heads that Shawn Carlock uses so I wont have to have a separate tripod for my spotting scope and rangefinder.

Something to try at least.
BB,

Might you have a link to the 'multi-head' you talk about? Makes alot of sense.

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

The BOTW guys are promising a wonder range finder that will range consistantly to 2K in all sorts of conditons, and...... it has an on board weather station and will do your dope for you, including angles....