Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Sako Optilock scope mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2004, 07:51 PM

Sako Optilock scope mount

Have a Sako 75 Finn-lite in 30:06 on layaway at a local sporting goods store. The price was really great and rifle really felt good in my hands. I purchased a Pentax 4.5-14 50mm AO white tail hunter rifle scope for it. Another good deal. I am a bargen hunter too! Now I need to find ring mounts for it. The Sako web site featured their Optilock rings. They look nice. I don't even know where o get them. Any other ideas for other than Sako rings? Thanks for any responces. This is my first post here.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Sako Optilock scope mount

I used to be a fan but not anymore. STAY AWAY. I have now stripped 2 sets of scres because the yuse cheap, soft hex head screws instead of torx screws. i owuld buy tally or conetrol
Old 12-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Dude... welcome to the forum... I recently installed a set of Leupold dovetail rings which I purchased from www.midwayusa.com for $45 (since you're a self-proclaimed bargain hunter)... they seem ok, haven't had a chance to shoot under them yet; also, don't know if you're aware of this but there is a recall on some stainless Sakos... better call the Sako hotline to see if your rifle is included (you'll need the serial number)... some rifles have "blown up" - wasn't a pretty picture... not trying to worry you but just something you might want to know "before buying"... they are replacing the rifles but why go through that if you can find one that's not included... just in case this deal falls through, check out the prices on www.gunsamerica.com if you haven't already... hope this helps...
Old 12-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

Dude ,
I just answered this in another post but I have 2 sako's and the slickest strongest and most secure set up I have found is the burris dual dove tail bases with burris signature rings. I am a huge Leupold fan but there set up suck's for sako ,use burris base and rings with leupold scope
Old 12-11-2004, 04:25 AM
Gold Member

The real gripe I have with Opti Locs is, they are not worth the money, IMO.
As mentioned above, stripped out ALLEN HEAD screws, even the low rings are very high making a good cheek weld hard to get, the price, etc.

I also ran Leupold rings on my Sako, and I liked them.
For the money, they outperformed the Opti's by giving me a perfect cheek weld, didnt leave ring marks like the Talley's, and after I took the scope off, would return to within 1/4 moa POI. Not bad for $50 bucks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Conetrols are my new choice now days. Outstanding machine work. Tactical setups, I go with Badger Ord....YMMV..sakofan..
Old 12-11-2004, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude... welcome to the forum... I recently installed a set of Leupold dovetail rings which I purchased from www.midwayusa.com for $45 (since you're a self-proclaimed bargain hunter)... they seem ok, haven't had a chance to shoot under them yet; also, don't know if you're aware of this but there is a recall on some stainless Sakos... better call the Sako hotline to see if your rifle is included (you'll need the serial number)... some rifles have "blown up" - wasn't a pretty picture... not trying to worry you but just something you might want to know "before buying"... they are replacing the rifles but why go through that if you can find one that's not included... just in case this deal falls through, check out the prices on www.gunsamerica.com if you haven't already... hope this helps...

[/ QUOTE ]

found it on another forum. It's 800-503-8869. It's a recall hot line. Apparently it is on guns purchased after Feb. 04. I left a message on their voice mail. I also found another post with a range of the serial numbers, the rifle I have a question about looks like it was a gun made before the problem of barrel blow ups. Apparently caused by metrology problems with the metal used to make the barrel. A site by the name accutatereloading.com has a good amount of information on this, none of it from Berretta USA. On of the posts has pictures of a gun blown up owned by one of the members there. I have a new SAKO 75 Finn-light on layaway. The price was very good, maybe I know why now.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

Dude... also, in case you're not aware... Sako used a "long action" for the WSM chamberings originally, but they now advertise a new "SM" action just for these rounds...in the long action the bolt travel would be unnecessarily long and would feel "un-cool", before picking up the next cartridge... probably no big deal but it seems better to use the action designed for the cartridge, especially in a repeater magazine...just more info to "agonize over"...hope this helps